rjv
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2019

QC35 II does not respect the notification/ringer volume settings on my Pixel 3

When I connect my QC35 II's to my Google Pixel 3 phone it always plays an (often loud) audible sound when I receive a notification. This happens even if I've set my ringer/notification volume to silent or vibrate. Even worse, it totally ignores when I've set my phone to "Do Not Disturb." I've noticed that after my bluetooth connection is established, all notifications go through the "Media" volume channel rather than "Ring" (what it should be).

On top of that, after I disconnect my headphones, my notifications continue to go through my "Media" volume channel, which means I will receive very loud notification sounds through my phone's speaker. The only way I can silence these notifications is to either turn my Media volume all the way down (which means I can't listen to anything), or I have to reboot my phone. Obviously none of this is desirable behavior. I've tried resetting the connections on the headphones and deleting the pairing from my phone (to no avail). I've also tested other bluetooth devices (such as my car bluetooth and a different pair of non-Bose headphones) and they don't exhibit this behavior.

I've tried Googling for solutions but I'm coming up empty. Does anyone have any suggestions or would anyone like to commiserate with me?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: QC35 II does not respect the notification/ringer volume settings on my Pixel 3

Hi rjv, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your Pixel 3. 

Have you attempted to use another mobile device with the headphones to see if this issue persists? 

Please update me on the result of this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

fixbane
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2019

Re: QC35 II does not respect the notification/ringer volume settings on my Pixel 3

I have this same issue. Was able to get around it by setting the notification sound to a no-sound mp3. After getting my ears BLASTED OUT by the headphones for a few weeks I'm really glad i spent the time to do this, it was horrible and stress inducing to have to hear every notification.

Dillon_Thomas
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2019

I'm having essentially the same problem. The best recommendation I can give is to do a blanket reset of your phone's settings and also clear the cache through the Android boot menu. This will solve the issue so long as you don't reconnect your headphones. For me, the problem just comes back as soon as I re-pair them. This also seems to be a recent issue with more than a few QC35 II owners running Android. Hopefully they figure out the root cause soon. 

Highlighted
robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Hello,

I've read your post and I think I have isolated the root of this issue, at least if you are having the same problem as I am. If so, the QC 35 II are changing your device such that all notifications are played as "media", so through the same device (bluetooth, car, phone speakers, etc.) and at whatever volume 'media' is set to.

Would you mind looking at my post on this subject and telling me if your issue seems to be the same as mine?

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC35-II-do-not-respect-Silent-Vibrate-Do...

Andy50
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

I have been having the same issue since I updated to Android 9.0 about 2 weeks ago. Galaxy s8+ and I have the same issue on my friends s9.

Hello all,

Just to keep you updated, we have raised this issue and our team will be looking into this matter. 

When we have further information, we will be sure to update you all.

Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

If you have any questions in the meantime, please do reach out to us. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

rjv
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2019

It appears there's an active thread on Google's Issue Tracker for this issue: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/134214639

KnightOfTrousers
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2019

I've been having the exact same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S7 for about a week now. The notifications are often very loud as they're tied to my media volume instead of notification volume - which is muted when my phone is on vibrate which is most of the time. Additionally, the notification chime will play 6-10 times, overlapping, making for an anxiety inducing problem every time my phone buzzes. 

I've researched the issue on Samsung's forums as well, and couldn't find much support there beyond deleting recently installed apps, running in safe mode, or clearing cache. I've tried a couple of these solutions and gotten the overlapping to stop (for now, we'll see where it goes). The issue of notification sounds playing is still present.