Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2020

QC35 II firmware upgrade lost connection at 28% using Bose Updater & USB cable

I started an upgrade of the firmware because the audio stream over the bluetooth connection was skipping.

I downloaded the Bose Updater software from btu.bose.com, installed the software (Laptop with Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.836).

I connected the headphones via USB to the laptop and the btu.bose.com webpage recognised the headphones and offered an "Upgrade" button to go up to 4.5.2 (I do not know what version they were on).

The progress bar got to 28%, halted for about 5 seconds, then a window popped up that said "Oops... We lost connection to your product. Try unplugging your product then plugging it back in" Under this was a button labelled "Try Again"

At no time was power lost. At no time were the headphones unplugged, nor the USB connectors or cables touched or moved.

I followed the instructions of unplugging and plugging in again, then pressed the "Try Again" button. This time the same error popped up at the 10% mark. This happened everytime I retried. I rebooted my laptop and tried again. The same pattern of failure resumed with first failing at 28% and the successively at 10% until rebooted.

I tried on a second laptop I have with exactly the same results. I then tried on two different desktops (one running Windows 10 and another running Windows 7 - with the exact same results.

I have tried different browsers as well (MS Edge Beta, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome), all with the same results.

The bluetooth function of the headphones is inoperable. I can turn the headphones on but I cannot trigger the bluetooth polling function - in the headphones the only sound that is made if I hold the bluetooth button across to the right is the same jingle that is played when you first turn the headphones on.

I believe that the headphones firmware update has wrecked the headphones usability, although I hope I am wrong.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

Zaphod.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: QC35 II firmware upgrade lost connection at 28% using Bose Updater & USB cable

Hi Zaphod, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to hear that you are having some updating issues with your headset. 

Let's start with attempting to perform a reset on the headset by following these steps below: 

• Power off your product
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger
  • Wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset
  • Wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

If you are unable to update the headset after the reset, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our customer service team via clicking this link, then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Re: QC35 II firmware upgrade lost connection at 28% using Bose Updater & USB cable

No luck with either the reset or the support page.

After the reset, I attempted to update the headset again, but as before the update fails at 28%.

I tried to go to the support page but there appears to be no support portal, just a link back to this community - do Bose not like to talk directly with people who purchase their products?

Regards,

Highlighted

Hi Zaphod_42,

The Contact Us page will have the contact information you need to reach out to your local support team directly. Usually, the page will have a 'product support' option that takes you to the self-support sections like the community but below that will be the phone number and any other contact methods for you to use.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 28, 2020

Hi Zaphod_42, I have the exact, exact same problem with my QC35II, that is:

1. When I turn on the headphones I don't hear the assitant telling me battery status, nor can I connect via bluetooth to any hardware.

2. I can use the headphones with the audio jack.

3. Noise cancelling appears to be working 

4. When I connect the headphones to mi laptop (windows 10) via USB the software updater recognizes the device correctly as an QC 35 II, but current firmware appear to be 0.0.0

5. If I try to update to firmare 4.5.2 I get a crash at exactly 28%. If I re try I't will crash at 10%. Error reads: 

Oops...

We lost connection to your product. Try unplugging your product then plugging it back in.

6. If I try to downgrade to 4.3.6 I get the same error at the same 28%

7. LED lights appear to work ok at showing battery status and connection to usb

8. If I put the headphones and start playing with the buttons, this is what I get:

- At startup I get four beeps that seems to be the exact opposite of the sound you get while turnin off a working QC35II (I have another one in my hose). Let's call this a music scale

- Sound up, down and the button in the middle of those two give the exact same music scale that powering up

- Alexa button will give to times the music scale the first time you press it. The second time and forth you press it will give you just one scale

- Powering off shoul give me the reverse of the music scale (that's what I get in my other working QC35II). In this faulty QC35II I dont get any sound at powering off, I just shuts down.

Did you get it to work? If not, do you have the same problems like I have?

Cheers