Aug 23, 2018
Wholeheartedly agree! There are a few features that you'd just expect to work that way out of the box, and this would be one of them. You know how you select what you want that button to do on the app? Having a "mute/unmute on calls" option would be perfect for me! It would also be great if I could hear some kind of auto response when the mute button is pressed, so I know if I'm muted or not.
Thanks very much for monitoring and listening to your customers. It's one of the main reasons I keep coming back to Bose products!
Aug 24, 2018
100% agree! The problem is even more evident with VoIP calls (webex / skype / zoom / gotomeeting) as the + / - shortcut does not mute the call. .
In regards to the comment that the mute action does not trigger any audio feedback, this changes when voice prompts are on, where the headset notifies you if "mute is ON" or "mute is OFF". However, this causes also some issues:
- You lose audio while the voice prompt finishes (about 2-3 seconds). If this is an active conversation, it is disrupting to the person wearing the headset.
- When voice prompts are off, you hear the same beep to come OFF mute that to come ON mute. The only way to know is to look at your phone to see if mute is active or not.
- Two-finger activation requires some practice to perform the action without wiggling the headset without causing noise.
I hope can address these design issues with a software update to essentially:
- Provide customization on what the voice prompt or audio queue should be for mute ON vs mute OFF action. This should be a different tone, beep, or length.
- These tones or voice prompts should be shorter or faster so you don't lose track of the conversation.
- The custom action button (middle button) could be improved to allow a mute action. I would like the ability to change invoking the assistance for a more comprehensive mute functionality.
Oct 2, 2018
Un buh leave uh bull.
These headphones, so excellent in almost every other respect, do not have the ability to mute the microphone? Are you kidding me. I thought I had researched everything before purchasing but I missed this. Now debating whether to return. **bleep**. C'mon, Bose, **bleep**?
Jan 4, 2018
Hi Bose team.
I needed to update my original post.
I usually do not use to complain this way on forum, but in last update adding Alexa option in the action button and nothing for Mute has made me lose confidence in Bose for business needs.
I bought them in Dec 2017 and love my QC35 II for travel, music and TV, I do not use them for work as no proper mute. Mute issue has been raised long time ago…
I work for a major Telco and even if every employees can buy their own headset, to limit the “I have-he has-I want” and complaint on noise, decided that all under my teams would use standard headset with noise cancelling. Other teams did the same.
After testing, we were left with 2 headset on the table… answer from everyone was we want QC35 II, but it has no mute… we went with a competitor and they are same price… Since last couple of months, we bought competitor headset by the shovel.
Funny to say that my wife work for another major Telco and they started same a couple of weeks ago, they selected same competitor headset as we did. They also had same comment “want QC35 II, but it has no mute…” as I pass my QC35 II for their trial.
I wrote this to show how much $$$ Bose have lost just because a simple mute option is missing. Issue was pointed in 04/18 for business needs and had multiple replies. No went with an Alexa option instead, I’m sure business/worker people wanted that.
Even worst that it seem to be only a simple software option to be added.
Hope that the message is more clear this time, now that you can see revenue loss against an issue.
Aug 7, 2018
Chiming in here, couple issues regarding the mic and mute.
For one, the mic is *extremely* hot when on calls, if indoors - minor typing, clicking on a mouse and even background noise come through *loud and clear*, which provides absolutely no benefit to the quality of your actual voice on the call. This makes mute absolutely necessary in a call setting when you may be typing while others are talking. In addition, when used outside, slight breezes, traffic, people talking in the background, create chaos for the person at the other end of the call. What is the point of having high-end bluetooth headphones if you have to essentially turn them off, switch off bluetooth from your phone, just to be able to reliably answer an incoming call while you're on the go? That's pretty absurd. I've gotten numerous agitated complains about the quality of the call when I take any call with my Bose headset.
There should be something you can do with software to better pick up on close-range vocal frequencies while minizing the background noise of typing, breezes, or background talking. This is pretty basic stuff that other headsets seem to be able to do without much problem.
With all that in mind, this makes mute all the more essential. Aside from having to press + and - at the same time, these buttons are also on the same side of the headset as the *extremely hot* mic which makes it impossible not to make noise when going on/off mute. Switching the mute functionality to the left side not only makes it easier to go on/off mute quickly, but removes the possibility of making a ton of noise while doing so.
While these headphones are very comfortable, the way Bose handles this feature request is going to be key in me deciding whether Bose is a company that continues to improve their products not just based on their own priorities (ie. Alexa support, probably $$ involved) but what the actual user experience is like and how you can address your customers issues.
Please update us with the status of this request, whether it's on your immediate roadmap at all as a software update? Let us know you hear us!
Dec 13, 2018
I just opened my new QCII's and ran right into this issue and am considering a return. I'm finding that these headphones are not well suited for using as a mic headset with an iphone or computer (using a Mac and PC). 1) the Mute - I have not yet been able to get this to work (holding + and -) 2) interruptions from system sounds cause a mute of other sounds (unlike my Jabra)
Jan 3, 2019
Just talked with Exella from Bose support via chat. Showed her this post. She restated the option to mute using the up/down buttons, which does not work for me. She did not provide any evidence of work towards a mute option using the Action button. After all this time, no work on the feature, so I will return this headset.
@Joey69 could you share the brand and model that your company chose instead of QC35 II please?
Jun 15, 2018
I have a QC35ii and an iphone 7+.
1. I made a phone call on the iphone and hit the mute button on the iphone and counted to 10 and they could not hear me
2. I unmuted the iphone and hit the + and - on the QC35ii (which only works it seems when in a VOIP conversation). It said "muted". I counted to 10 and they could not hear me. I hit the + and - again and it said "unmuted"
What am I missing? Seems to work both ways. In fact, I am wondering what the scenario would be for the VOIP apps I use (phone cal, Facetime, Skype and Whatsapp) where I need to go to the QC35 to mute anyway since they all have Mute buttons/functions.
Dec 15, 2016
Sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having. We appreciate the feedback here.
The method to mute/unmute is currently what we have available for the QC35 headset. We want to try and help you enjoy using your headphones as much as possible.
Please, we ask that you try these steps to see if you find them helpful:
- Enable voice prompts on your headphones using the Bose Connect app>Gear icon>Tap "Voice Prompts."
- Please be on a call
- To mute, firmly tap both the volume up and down button together and immediately let go. Please do not hold them down a second longer waiting for a confirmation. It will sound after you let go.
- Less than a second later, you should hear a voice prompting that it is muted. Repeat the last step to unmute.
- If you do not require voice prompts, you will hear beeps to confirm when it is muted/unmuted.
Again, we hear everyone's concerns here and thankful for the feedback. Should you find that your headphones are not functioning correctly, please contact our service team in your region, and they can help you get back up and running again. Contact information can be found here.
Thank you again and have a great rest of your day.