Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

Re: QC35 II mute workaround is a pain

The issue isnt' the mute function, but the sidecar that brings ambient noise into the headphones.

My feeling is that if you are in an active conversation - it's not so annoying. If you are purely listening for an hour or only occasionally chiming in - it can be bothersome. And if the reason for the feature is so you can hear yourself talk - why should it be enabled when mute is on?

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

So let me understand - are you saying if you mute in the app, that the QC35ii still sends audio to the other party(s)?  If so, is this true for other Bose VOIP compliant devices or just the QC35ii?

Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

No - the audio does not go to other parties.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

So then why is the mute functionality of the apps not sufficient requiring an additional mute function on the headphones?

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

For Skype and likely VOIP calls the mute fuction (Vol -/+ combo) does not work.  Meaning if you need to mute and are not infront of your computer you cannot mute the mic as you could do on a wireed headphones with controls in the wires.  This should fixed if possible for current users.  Fully realize we do  not buy the headphones to make calls a a primary reason - but all high end headphones have this capability.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

I also find this to be a major limiter for me. I'm continuously pressing the mute/unmute button when in meetings. It would be *awesome* to get this feature as an option in the Alexia button. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 22, 2019

I've read a lot of comments on the muting function, however none address my simple use. I just received my QC 35 II's this week, and primarily use them for listening to my TV via Bluetooth. I don't use the microphone feature at all. I'm looking for a way to mute the sound from the headphones (earpieces) during commercials ?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Bump. Took the time to create a Bose community account to add my +1. I got all excited when there was a firmware update available for the headphones, hoping that this would be included, but no, just Alexa. I set the Action Button to adjust the noise cancelling level, just to avoid triggering an annoying assistant, so adding more annoying assistants to choose from doesn't help me. Accidentally bumping the button and messing with the noise cancellation level is also annoying.

I'm looking for a global mute function for all of my VoIP / calling apps, and muting the headset mic would be optimal. I haven't tried clicking the volume + / - buttons together, because that sounds silly, having to mess around with the right ear cup, where the microphones are, and having to press 2 buttons instead of 1. I'm guessing this could be done in software, so adding the feature request to the development queue should be easy enough; I'd rather have a mute button on this headset than audio AR that I probably won't use.

Better ambient noise reduction on calls would also be nice. I'm becoming known as "the guy with the noisy microphone" on calls, and I don't want to tell them that I'm using a Bose headset. For a headset with such effective noise cancellation on the speakers, it'd be nice to have equally effective noise cancellation on the microphone. 

The other feature I'd request is the ability to use them while charging. It'd be pretty rad if I could use a 6' micro USB cable, to charge and get audio from my computer (or mobile device) at the same time. It's a little lame that the headphones have to be off to charge. I'd rather have USB wired headphones than no headphones when the battery is dead. With the new iPhones likely using USB-C, and likely including the ability to charge peripherals from that port, it'd be rad if the next generation of QC35s had USB-C.

I've given Bose a lot of money, as a long time satisfied Bose customer, and I will probably continue to. I've loved my QC15s since they launched, now loving my QC35s. I use Bose earbuds on my motorcycle, I had Bose speakers in my last truck and hope to have them in my next truck too. I'm currently listening to music on my Companion 20 speakers in my home office because my QC35s are charging. I've been eyeballing a Bose home theatre system for a while, but haven't taken the plunge yet. 

Some companies use UserVoice.com to collect feedback / feature requests, to democratize product management, and I'd love it if Bose did too. There are a lot of things that I'd be happy to buy from Bose, if Bose made them. 

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

I just got my QC35, upgrading my old QC15, so I could use them for conference calls also.  I really like the way they fit and how the noise canceling works.  However I cannot believe the mute feature is so hard to use.  Pushing two buttons together which for my large fingers is pretty hard to do, and then to have no response to tell you if it worked is a huge miss, especially for a headset that costs much more then the normal.  Since this has an already SW modifiable button please add the capability to mute the mic and either use voice to say mute on or mute off, or have a ding every 10 seconds when on mute.  I had tried a much cheaper blueparrot headset and it had all these features.  Unfortionatly it was on the ear instead of over.  With no changes to the currect behavior I will return these as my QC15 is all I need when I need sound counsling.  I really want a better bluetooth/phone usage out of these.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

@tlemmons do you have the latest firmware? I just got my QC35 II last week, and when I connected to the Bose App it asked to update the firmware and I let it. I found this forum/post when trying to figure out how to mute when on calls. While the two butten press is still awkward, it does now annunciate "Muted" when going on mute, and "un-muted" when doing the dual press again.