Registered since

May 23, 2019

Re: QC35 II very bad sound quality when using Bluetooth on Apple devices

I have tested with:

- iPhone XS with iOS 12.3.1

- iPad Air 2 with iOS 12.3.1

- iPad 4 with iOS 10.3.3

Got the same result with all of them.

Good sound but after a few seconds it gets terrible.

So it has to be the headphones that are telling the iOS to switch to HFP.

They work fine the wire and with Android devices.

How do i fix this?

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@GFonseca83 

I am not a Bose person and I do not obviously know what the code does on both sides, but I am going to take a guess here that as the QC35ii is a receiving device (unless Bose suggests otherwise in a reply here) and does not send a command to the Apple device to switch BT profiles.  There may be some application running on the Apple in the background that uses HFP and sends a command to the Bose to switch the profile.  Let's go ahead and eliminate that as a possibility.

Go to SETTINGS, GENERAL, BACKGROUND APP REFRESH and set it to OFF.  Now I am not 100% certain (as I don't program iOS apps) that there still not 'stubs' of apps still running that could send out HFP profile change commands, but by turning off Background App Refresh, we should be more likely certain that only your music playing app is running.  If it still switches to HFP, we have at least tried something to see if it helps.

GFonseca83
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2019

Thank you for trying to help.

But unfortunatly it didnt work.

Turned  the background app refresh off, rebooted the iPad and its still the same.

Managed to test on yet another iPad. An iPad 2 with iOS 9.3.5. Same thing happened.

On my windows10 laptop works fine.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@GFonseca83 

in that case we are left imho with the following possibilities:

1. it is specific to your particular QC35ii since mine does not exhibit the same behavior (though I do use a different Apple phone).  Only way to verify that is to try a different QC35ii.

2. it is still something associated with iOS or a resident 'stub' associated with an app which is independent of Background  processing that is causing the sound to be output with the HFP profile.  The only way to determine if it is iOS or an app is backup your whole phone.  Reinitialize the phone to factory settings and then play the music.  If it still happens it's iOS - if not it was one of your installed apps which interfere even if that app does not appear to be running.  You can install the apps one at a time until it happens or you can restore your backup and remove the apps one at a time to narrow it done.

3. it is not HFP that is causing the sound change but something else in A2DP mode - only way to check that is try playing the music with something else such as the app I use - Ecoute.  Or you can try a video app to play music like Youtube.

4. Since you windows 10 laptop plays fine (I have a windows 7/64 laptop that plays fine), then try a different iphone like a 7 or 8.  If they also have the problem that it is definately an Apple issue.  If the 7 or 8 works then it has something to do with your XR and iPads in particular or all of that class in general.

Highlighted
GFonseca83
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2019

I’ve tested my iPhone with 3 different QC35ii and all worked fine.

Tried my QC35ii with Apple devices from other people and had the same problem.

So, the problem is defenitly on these specific headphones.

What do i do?

How is Bose going to solve this?