Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

QC35 Mic not connecting to answer telephone calls on iOS 14

I have posted elsewhere about this problem but have not received a reply as yet and I cannot find any suggested fixes elsewhere.

Since mid way through the iOS 13 iterations I cannot answer calls on my QC35 connected to iPhone XS Max. However I answer an incoming call the mic will not connect even if I respect the headphones as the medium.

The only fix is to switch the headphones off and then revert to the phone. I have updated to firmware 4.8.1. It does seem to work via Facebook Messenger when I leave voice notes.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC35 Mic not connecting to answer telephone calls on iOS 14

@david_atlargehmmm..... since I have never had any problem using my QC35 with my iphone both for outgoing and incoming, we need to try to figure out what is the difference between you and I....

first of all, as you know for incoming calls, if you answer the call on the ringing device (your iphone), then it will not use you QC35.  You have to hit the middle button on the right of the QC35 (or turn on your QC35 while the phone is ringing - I do that often).

So assuming you answer correctly, let's try to see if there are any difference.  We are both on 4.8.1 for the QC35 and I am going to assume we are both on iOS 14.0.1.  So I have a QC35ii AE.  Is yours AE or AZ?  I have a iPhone 7+ and you have a iPhone XS Max.

If we can't narrow down to something to identify why mine works and yours does not, then it has something to do specifically to your phone perhaps (assuming you are connected to your phone with Bluetooth).  Or there is an outside chance there is some VOIP related app on your phone which has part of it always running even if not in the foreground.  So you may in last resort try turning off all your background notifications as well as turning off all Background App Refresh (in Settings General).  And also power off the iphone and power it back on.  I know this is 'gasping for straws' but there has got to be a difference between the two of us and it is more likely on the iphone end of the BT communication than the QC35ii end.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

Re: QC35 Mic not connecting to answer telephone calls on iOS 14

Hi Joel

Thank you for your message.

I should have been more descriptive. If I answer a call using the Multi Function Button my music stops and I can hear the caller but cannot be heard. The only fix is to turn the headset off and select iPhone.

I have the AE model. I am also on iOS 14.0.1.

IOS updates do have phone model specific 'packets' like for instance firmware for the notoriously poor LTE/Data modems which the 10 and 11 series have as apposed to the Qualcomm in your 7 (so I believe). So it could be iOS related.

But you are quite right to think about third part apps. I do not have any VOIP apps installed but there are some security devices like Adguard and Malwarebytes in use with VPN, data and the internet but with no obvious call intervention settings enabled. I will try cycling some of these settings to see if there is a connection, or maybe that should be 'not a connection!' 🙂

I'll report back...