joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC35 Terrible Bluetooth Connection with MacBook Pro

sounds to me that your particular bluetooth hardware is currently not communicating properly with you Bose QC35ii via Windows.

If you have not already done so:

1. Try the QC35ii with a smartphone or another device to insure there is nothing wrong with the Qc35ii.

2. You have up to date bluetooth drivers from your vendor -- according to you that does not seem to help.  So now try uninstalling them and reinstalling.  Then try getting you hands on previous drivers and go back up to 2 years if you can.

3. Intel on its bluetooth site for win7 says that two windows updates could be incompatible.  Even though you have win 10, make sure you don't have those installed.  Then uninstall windows updates back up to 2 years to see if any of that helps.

If 1 to 3 make no difference and with everything else you have tried, especially if your Bluetooth vendor is Intel (which many of us know plain doesn't work well with any Bose stuff) or even if its not, your only short term fix will be to disable your bluetooth hardware in windows and go with another vendor.  Bose just has too many vendors to test with for windows and mac machines and so it is highly unlikely you will see a firmware fix that specifically addresses your environmenty.

After you have disabled the BT hardware, buy a USB Dongle.  I have found success for $12 on ebay with the SMK Nano USB Dongle with CSR drivers.  Can't say if it will work for you or not since I have win 7/64.  But for $12....  you can afford to try another if it doesn't work.... or you can wait for Bose.... or you can sell you Bose... you get the idea....

pmlcmda
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

It’s been months, and not one answer from Bose. They don’t acknowledge the problem, let alone fix it...

Honestly this is shameful from Bose. 380€ pair of headphones that gives terrible - and I do mean TERRIBLE - sound quality when connected via Bluetooth to my Mac.

The sound gets so bad and distorted that I’ve given up using these at home and just use my 30€ old earbuds for videos...
So basically I have a 380€ Bluetooth headphones that I can’t use via Bluetooth with my main sound source (my Mac).

Works perfectly with my iPhone and iPad, but it’s absolute trash with my MacBook.

I have no idea how Bose keeps claiming this is not an issue and hasn’t release a proper fix for it. If Bose only made these to be suitable with phones/tablets then make that very clear in the specifications! This is a total scam.

And to be clear, I did all the steps provided in this thread and many MANY others found on the internet.
I tried manually change the sound input device back to Internal Microphone and forcing macOS to connect to your headphones using aac on Apple's Bluetooth Explorer utility. It improve the quality MARGINALLY and still miles below the sound I get when connected to my iPhone for example. And keep in mind that these are changes I need to do every time to connect the headphones to my Mac, so not exactly something smooth and easy and pairing my Bose to my Mac should be.

I’ve given up, after months of basically having a really expensive pair of headphones that only works on my phone, I’m selling these and changing to the Sony XM3, at least those work flawlessly with both my devices from the testing I did.
Aviran
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

I've had the same experience. I should have bought the new Microsoft earphones 😞

pmlcmda
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

Return them if you still can 😶
They are great headphones, but such a big mistake not even being addressed after all this time on such an expensive pair it’s unacceptable.
Braito
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

I have the same problem (QC35 II) after the lasted update.

At some point the sound startsto stop and the resume fast. I reset the bluetooth but still

dvancouvering
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 28, 2019

This was *totally* the problem!  You can also use this Stack Exchange answer to keep your internal microphone as the default: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/340434

Wow, so much better, that was so frustrating.

nranns
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 5, 2019

A firmware update on my headphones fixed it for me. Connect your headphones to your mobile/device with the Bose connect app, i think the firmware updated started automagically.

jakeinmpls
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

None of these have solved it for me. The sound is just terrible when I'm on my macbook pro and simply open the screen on my iphone; even if I disconnect bluetooth on my iphone. Just crazy. Sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOu3hYXE_tM

Do you remember? Can you still hear him talk, when you close your eyes? Here's an epic voice compilation of everything Soundwave ever said on the Generation 1 show. A project almost 30 yrs in the making: N-joy!! For Part II click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRu6uqKqTn0
Nico9
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

Yeah, pretty sure I've been experiencing this exact problem for a year now. Maybe longer, I can't remember. 

My main issue is that, when connected to my Macbook and ONLY my Macbook, if they're not in use: i.e. audio is actively played through them; they will disconnect with "*Instert device name* lost". Then I have to shut them and my Mac Bluetooth off, and they won't automatically connect again when I turn either back on. So I have to go through the entire process of debugging the Mac's Bluetooth, disconnecting all devices from the headphones and then waiting for the Mac to pick them up again.

Sometimes, my Mac won't pick them up at all and I'll have to try upward of 3 times. This doesn't happen if the QC35s are connected with my phone. At all. Only my Mac and only if they're on, but not being used. If they're on and in use, it's likely to not happen unless my Mac experiences a freezing problem or some other issue. I've tried everything and it only all works temporarily. I still can't tell if it's a Bluetooth issue with my Mac, the QC35s, or both. 

It's amazing how Bose or Apple somehow hasn't fixed this. I'm only keeping these because they were a Christmas gift from my parents, and they actually are amazing, save for the Bluetooth connectivity. 

I'm going to look into purchasing a connecting cord again since I can't locate mine.

MacMark
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 14, 2019

BT Connection with my MacBook Pro (Mid2012) is horrible. if I sit directly in front of my notebook I can not turn my head 90 degrees -> connection lost