ibTom
Participant
Registered since

Jul 30, 2020

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Anybody can comment on whether the version II has exhibited the same issue again or is this now actually been fixed?

I bought two of these headphones at the same time about three years ago. My wife was using her quite consistently while I used it exclusively only  when flying - so maybe a couple times a year - up until a couple months ago when I started to using it daily. Sure enough my wife's headphones started having this issue and I attempted the 'fix' I cleaned the contacts and that didn't work so I went to the more aggressive fix to open the switch. Unfortunately I wasn't careful and the parts took flight. I was able to recover the switch and cover, but not the spring. 

I got lucky and they offered to replace my headphones for free on my very first call. I thought once they found I tampered with the headphones they wouldn't allow it. In the end they sent the replacement and haven't heard back. 

Fast forward to a few weeks later. Sure enough now MY headphones started powering on by themselves. This time I tried calling bose and they only offered the exchange for $209. I just took apart my power switch on my headphones today this time being more careful and while I will see if that fixes the problem, the switch when turning on and off is definitely pretty stiff and requires quite a bit of force. Perhaps that will prevent the unwanted turning on though.

I like many others are hesitant to shell out more money if they can't be bothered to take responsibility for a defective power switch. 

singhans
Participant
Registered since

Aug 2, 2020

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Yes I always kept my QC35-1s in its box and i can see how the power switch could get messed up because of that. However, I opened the headphones as depicted in the thread, squeezed the prongs of the switch, charged it and it is still doing the same thing. Worst, it is turning on by itself without me even touching it. At this point, I have lost hope unless bose can help me fix it or replace it for free.

bmanks
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

BOSE QC35 - on/off switch malfunctioning.

Hi, 

I have owned these headphones for a three years now and a couple years I noticed that the headphones while the toggle is switched off still show a green (connected) light and would randomly connect to my phone. The solution then was to switch the headphones on and then off. 

The frequency of the above increased dramatically. Currently, the headphones on/off toggle is useless and it randomly connects to the the closest device and discharges. This is quite annoying and I hope to find a solution for this issue through the Bose. 

Best

Bharat

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: BOSE QC35 - on/off switch malfunctioning.

@bmanksAs you can see there are 102 screens for this topic.  It has been around for about 2 years or so.  Bose has already stated i this thread about a year back or so that there is no firmware solution to this.  That is because this has been verified to be a hardware malfunction - the contacts in your on/off switch are slipping.  Way back in the beginning of this, there are instructions with pictures to show you how to fix it yourself.  That is the only solution - there is no 'workaround'.  If you are not a DIY'er, you can call Bose and work on getting an 'exchange'.  But as you are out of warranty, they will propose doing it for a price which will be quite 'high'.  Do not pay anything.  You need to explain you are part of a larger class of people all with the same known problem.  They will probably refuse.  Call back. Keep calling back and possibly even escalating to a supervisor and keep to that.  You will have to be quite persistent and it could take some time but people here in the thread as you can read, eventually find someone who will do a free exchange 'just this one time'.   That is about as close as you will ever see Bose come to a 'recall' imho - they will not ever admit fault concerning this issue.

These are really your only two options.  Turning on an off is not a solution or a workaround.  Again its a slipping contact so software settings will not fix it.  I had a QC35i which I exchanged in Dec 2018 - and had been going on for some time even then.

deeve
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

REPLACEMENT ON OFF SWITCH FOR QC35

Has anybody had success in getting a replacement on /off switch for the QC35?

Getting through to customer support (in UK) in any way has proved impossible. Whatsapp is not responded to 

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: REPLACEMENT ON OFF SWITCH FOR QC35

@deeveIf you have slipping contacts in the on/off switch for your QC35i then there is a very long (over 100 screens) post here with instructions on how to fix it yourself without replacing the on/off switch.  Perhaps someone here has found a source to purchase a new or used on/off switch.  Otherwise, you will have to deal with Bose (I do not work for them).  I have returned various Bose products for repair but I have not yet read anything in this community to suggest they would repair/replace a QC35 on/off switch.  All I have seen is an offer for exchange of the whole unit.  They will suggest a 'price' if your unit is out of warranty which is for most people's opinions 'exorbitant'.  Keep in mind that when I have sent back units like my Revolves for repair the charges are more like around $65 US.  So if this is happening to you, I would recommend you keep calling back and escalate if necessary if you feel your repair costs are too high.  For those with the QC35i on/off contacts issue, with persistence, they eventually 'this one time' get a free exchange.

deeve
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

I didnt make it clear that its the user part that protrudes through the shell to actuate the switch not the actual switch itself. The plastic split where it fits over the slider. Its a simple job to replace if I can get the part.

deeve
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

Reply from Bose CS 

Please be advised that the only parts that we have for the headphones are the ear cushions, cables and carry case.

So, planned obsolescence by Bose. 24 months warranty then if something goes wrong you own junk.

calebs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 17, 2020

Re: Headphones power on automatically

The instructions from @qiangliu worked well - thank you

aury
Participant
Registered since

Aug 25, 2020

Quiet Comfort 35 keep turning on by themselves

I really want to go back to loving my Quiet Comfort 35 wireless headphones II sans issues!! I purchased these a little over a year ago in the US. They're very comfy and have amazing quality. I've even recommended them to friends who have purchased them based off my recommendation! BUT they keep randomly turning on by themselves even though the off switch is in place (and not loose at all).

This issue first began a few months ago, but I reset them and this seemed to work for a bit. However, now it's happening again more frequently and constantly draining my battery. I recently reset them again and then today, they connected to my computer when they were supposedly turned off.....

I tried issuing a service request but apparently they're not covered because of a 1-year warranty?? I think it's absurd that I paid nearly $400 USD for a premium product and now I have to pay for a replacement when I didn't cause this issue and it's not fixed by resetting it!!!