giallopudding
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2021

QC35 headphones magically turning on - reset didn't work

Considering the cost of these headphones, and my infrequent use of them, the fact that they unpredictably power on by themselves, running the battery down, is maddening. I turned these things off four times today, recharging if they drained all the way down. I thought Bose products were the best, but now I am losing confidence. I can't get through to any support on Bose website using Chrome browser. What's going on with Bose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC35 headphones magically turning on - reset didn't work

Author Accepted Answer selected by giallopudding

@giallopudding(I do not work for Bose)

Nothing 'magic' about this... 🙂   It is a 2+ year known problem for which there is NO workaround.  It is a hardware (not firmware) issue - the contacts in the on/off switch are slipping.  You can look here (or elsewhere) for instructions on how to fix it yourself.  OR you can call Bose and convince them that your headphones are part of a large class of malfunctioning switch units.  They will offer an exchange for a price (since you are out of warranty).  You can accept or not as you wish.  However, many here have reported calling back repeatedly and escalating perhaps many times.  Eventually, they will get a representative that is willing to give a free exchange 'this one time'.

These are your only two options other than selling them or living with the issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jessie_O

Hey @giallopudding

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Communtiy! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue and I will do all I can to assist you! 

If you wish to contact your local support, click the LINK HERE, select your country and scroll down to 'Contact Us'. We will do all we can to assist you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by giallopudding

@giallopudding(I do not work for Bose)

Nothing 'magic' about this... 🙂   It is a 2+ year known problem for which there is NO workaround.  It is a hardware (not firmware) issue - the contacts in the on/off switch are slipping.  You can look here (or elsewhere) for instructions on how to fix it yourself.  OR you can call Bose and convince them that your headphones are part of a large class of malfunctioning switch units.  They will offer an exchange for a price (since you are out of warranty).  You can accept or not as you wish.  However, many here have reported calling back repeatedly and escalating perhaps many times.  Eventually, they will get a representative that is willing to give a free exchange 'this one time'.

These are your only two options other than selling them or living with the issue.

View solution in original post

giallopudding
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2021

Thanks a million for giving me the facts. Maybe I'll try my luck with Bose and see if they are still offering that one-time satisfaction.

babablacksheep270
Participant
Registered since

Apr 22, 2019

QC35ii randomly turns on

QC35ii- Black

Firmware 4.8.1

Issue: My headphone frequently been turning on the noise cancelling and the "green light" by itself. This went from once a month to weekly, now daily. What gives? How can I fix it? Is this related to degrading hardware? I used to love these headphones but am pretty disappointed at the short lifespan.

I have already tried turning off, plugging in to wall outlet, etc. I have also already cleared out all paired devices. Nothing has worked.

RV_
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2021

Let me share the ACTUAL FIX for most 'magically turning on' or not actually turning off' issue.

I can't believe there is no real FIX posted here.

This is due to the switch being too early in the slide to turn on and the aluminum cup nudging it towards that point where device turns ON.

What you can do is:

1. Remove the ear cushion and the 'R' cloth cover.

2. Loosen the 3 screws holding the metal cup. No need to remove.

3. Without removing the cup, face the cup and  push it the left on its place.

4. While keeping the pressure to the left, tighten the screws. (DO NOT over tighten. Just enough to allow a gap on the left side of the switch and the cup be secured..

Why?

The cup may have deformed or even moved towards its lifetime + slightly loose screws. The deformation of the cup or some movement slightly nudges the switch to the ON position which the switch is very sensitive due to possible wear pattern for that switch.

I fixed mined and it's not magically turning on anymore or not magically turning off.

*warranty may be VOID by doing this*

no fuching clue. a user name? really?
Participant
Registered since

Jun 14, 2021

Bose can play all the games they want. If they don't reach out to me to provide a functioning product for the $300 I paid for this headset, I'll never buy a Bose product again. Simple as that.

Bose wants to claim this headset worked with zero faults for 2 years then all of a sudden the "hardware" switch contact problem develops where this headset now just turns on randomly? With all these other users/customers saying theirs is doing the exact same thing? Gimme a break Bose. You have 1 week for ME to hear from YOU. Or your good name will be going down the toilet.

myra2016
Participant
Registered since

May 29, 2021

I have solved this problem I had with my headphones. I kept them on charge whenever I wasn't using it for a few weeks. Now I don't have them on charge except when they need it and it has stopped happening.