QC35 ii + iphone = low volume?

SOLVED
Friendly Fanatic

Re: QC35 ii + iphone = low volume?

I dont have Beats to Compare too but the Sonys Sound Awesome even at low volume ! I rarely need to go over 50% !

Last thing I wanted to do was spend $350 and have to trouble shoot the hell out of it, for that type of Money it should be plug and play just like the Sony !

I ended up getting the Sonys for $299 thanks to Best Buys price protection, I use them daily and couldnt be happier !!

Quiet Contributor

Ok so I think i found the SOLUTION..(for spotify atleast). So if you go into your settings, under playback, scroll down until you see the volume level. I assume the headphones may have changed it to quiet (which apparently “preserves dynamics”) but if you turn it to loud and restart the app it sounds a bit louder and the bass seems to be a bit more prominent. Ive been itching for the solution to this so hopefully this works for you.
Audible Advocate

It worked for me Smiley Happy thanks.
Also playing with the equalizer helps with spotify
Quiet Contributor

No problem at all.  I find it mind-boggling that a company such as BOSE couldn't resolve this issue or even suggest USEFUL tips on how to fix this issue.  Restarting every electronic device doesn't always fix things and I wished BOSE would be advanced enough (as they claim) to know this and actually use resources to answer our questions with useful and REAL info..  Long rant just thought they would care more about their customers...

Quiet Contributor

Also on a second thought, I wouldn't play with the equilizer too much because if you adjust it to be louder for your headphones and then want to connect to a speaker its going to sound horrific most likely.  I found just changing the volume setting was the easiest and best way to fix this.

Quiet Contributor

Finally something that makes sense and works. Why Bose people did not know this beats me. Worked well, although at max on all the sound quality was somewhat reduced - so I guess the limit of Quietcomfort 30 has been reached.

Thanks!

Silent Starter

Hi all,

I was having the same problem today using it for the first time with my work laptop, the volume was too low, even with video and laptop volume settings set to high. I checked the firmware levels, etc, etc...

It turns out the fix was actually to increase the volume ON THE HEADSET as well :/ I was rather expecting that they be in sync with the device(s) volume settings, but apparently not. Hope it helps others!

Cheers,

Ceitinn

Quiet Contributor

When I use on iOS devices the volume control of the headset is synced with the iPad / iPhone so the volume control of the headset conrols the iPad / iPhone as well.

I have had this issue with both my QC35 and also my QC35ii with my iPhone 6, 7, iPad Air and now iPad Pro 11, I suspect the low volume issue is inherent with the headsets unfortunately.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

I would not say that is a global issue with the QC35 and the iphone 7.  I used to have an qc35i and now a qc35ii and I am in the music business (I am a film composer).  So I have particular sensitivity to sound and volume (and I hope my hearing is still ok.... Smiley Happy ).  I do not perceive any problems with volume on any of my Bose devices (also have two revolve's, a soundsport wire, and a soundlink mini) EXCEPT my Revolve's when connected via bluetooth to my Windows PCs.  Both through my local music app, Ecoute, and my streaming apps like my Xfinity Video streaming.

So if you can't get the volume up on the QC35ii and the iphone, it may be localized to your specific device and/or it's environment.

Quiet Contributor

I think the volume max is sufficient for most. It is however frustrating to see 

the volume slider cranked up so far at all times. It maybe a psychological thing but I do not like to see the volume slider cranked to near maximum for a couple of reasons. It makes me aware of my ears and the potential for damage. This may or may not be intentional on Bose’s part. Perhaps they want us to be aware of our listening volumes.

I own both the QC35 ii and Soundlink Headphones ii. Both behave the same with regard to the volume issue. I can only assume this is not isolated to one particular product but is indeed comparable throughout the range.

I do however still agree that bose’s volume algorithms is unique to Bose and does not reflect volume levels on mostly all other manufacturer devices. In this regard Bose”s volume max seems way off. Needing to crank the volume to 70+% feels alien and unnatural but yet is necessary for many using bose products. It kinda bugs me on a psychological level, to the point I force myself to keep volume slider at around half way 50% which is frustrating as I feel I do miss out on the dynamics of some music, much detail is lost at lower volumes also, and 50% should never be considered “Low” volume, yet it definitely feels low (to my ears) by Bose standards.

It makes me feel like something is wrong with my particular headphone and had I not found these threads/posts I would have thought my unit faulty.

It also occurred to me that the need to crank the volume may be derogatory to the battery and the overall health of these batteries. Has any body tested how the battery performs when played at higher volume. Is the 20 hours still achievable?

Either way it’s confusing and manipulating of Bose not to,adress the issue or at least offer users some clarification on the situation, if it’s normal behaviour? Instead they confuse users more by having tech support make us think we need to troubleshoot which in turn emphasises in the user that it is not normal and therefor needs troubleshooting when in fact it appears (by reading others experience) that is just the way of things.

i personally think Bose are protecting their reputation. Their marketing blurb states “Sound quality at any volume” Its possible they are capping the volume max so as to not allow the phones to reach levels where the Bose signature sound is compromised. I just wish they’d be upfront about it.

sorry for wall of text. It’s a sort of rant while mulling things over.