cesarv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Re: QC35 ii + iphone = low volume?

Turn off bluetooh on your iPhone and/or iPad, turn on the headphones (it shouldn't connect to anything), and turn the volume all the way up. After this, turn them off, enable bluetooth on your iOS devices, and turn the headphones back on. Check if the volume's fixed.

If this doesn't fix your problem, call Bose, escalate, and demand a refund.

ssmith369
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Thank you for the replies.

Especially the one from Bose 🙂 Contact Apple!!! really..... That just about sums up my experience with Bose today!! I have Bluetooth Earpods and a cheap pair of over ear Bluettoth headphones that work perfectly and have no volume issues. Think that may point (as do all the other users experiences on tis thread) that the problem doesn't lie with Apple!!

I have tried the volume trick, and it "may" have improved things a little. I need ot comapre with my £40 headphones (that says it all really)

Steve

ssmith369
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

So, connected my Idea S204 heaphones (£40), and I would say a good 40-50% louder using Bluetooth than my QC35ii (£329)...... I wouldn't want to listen to the S204 at full volume, way too loud. But to get a reasoanble sound level from the QC35ii I have to have them at 90 if not 100%.

I don't think I will be contacting Apple!!

Steve

Highlighted
Aidensky
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Sorry, that sounds stressful. It’s great Bose have agreed to a replacement. I doubt it will make a difference to the volume issue though. Ihave a couple headphones as does my mom and they all behave in the same manner where volume is concerned. They all have a volume max cap which is lower than most other manufacturers. Other than those specifically designed for children headphones, Bose cans are on the lower end. Also could you not phone the store before making the 60 mile round trip? Let them know you have cleared the exchange with Bose. They can let you know if they will honour the replacement before making the journey.

Bose headphones I put up there with a premium purchase due to their cost. I normally don’t make premium purchases lightly and so far have been lucky that other premium products I have bought have come with a premium user and support experience. Not so with Bose sadly. I enjoy the headphones, I even purchased a 2nd set for my mom as well as a Bose speaker. While they are built well and perform great I can’t help but feel a lack of premium after sales support. It is very difficult to engage and/or to find a straight answer to straightforward questions. Add to that all this talk of Bose messing with the noise cancelling efficiency (via updates) leaves me feeling cold with regard to Bose and sad to admit that I am finding I have developed trust issues with them overall.

Aidensky
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

I hear you..personally I would never want to listen at 90 or 100% volume...normally, Even on the Bose, however there are times, specific ocassions when I just want that little bit extra volume from the QC35 and it is just not possible. It’s simply not there. With Sony’s or Sennheiser’s etc I have never exceeded 60-70% ever. I couldn’t, it’s just too much. Even at Bose’s 100% it seems less than the others 70%

£330 is just too much coin to drop on a product so tightly controlled by the manufacturer. I feel like I’m renting these, like they’re not mine. I feel like I’m being babied by Bose.

ssmith369
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Thank you for your replies. I am feeling a little let down, to be honest. I don't really want to change them, as apart from the poor volume, they are a lovely pay of headphones in every other way. I fear that going through all the hassle of changing them is not going to prove fruitful, as it would seem this is a problem with all QC35ii.

I am not even sure that I have the option of a refund, or even swapping them?

So, BOSE, what are my options to resolve this?

Steve

Hello ssmith369,

I am truly sorry that you are having this frustrating experience. Though I am not convinced that it is caused by malfunctioning headphones, the possibility exists. If you feel that there is something wrong with the headphones, please contact Customer Support for service options. Contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us". 

Best Regards,

Greg

ssmith369
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Thank you for your reply Greg

I have already done this before posting on this forum. That experience was nearly as frustrating as the volume problem itself. Apart from the language barrier, the only option that were given to me were to return the headphones for a replacement, which involved me returning my headphones first, then wait at least 2 weeks for a new pair to be sent out. This wasn't acceptable. I have to send devoices back as part of my job, and all suppliers send out the replacement first! The other option she mentioned was to go to a Bose store and they "may" change them!! equally unacceptable.

As you mentioned, there probably isn't actually a fault with the headphones, but it is an inherent problem with all QC35ii that there max volume is vastly lower than other headphones in all price brackets.

What would be useful is for Bose to admit that this is the case, and whether rhey are planning on rectifying it or not. If they aren't then how do I go about getting a refund?

Steve

ssmith369
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Any update from Bose?

Is there going to be an update in the future that will raise the volume?

Can you provide me with a UK customer support number, or a Bose centre that I can go to that is local to GL7 postcose?

Many thanks

Steve

Community Manager

Hi ssmith369,

HERE is a link to the contact page for the UK which should be able to assist you.

Warm Regards,

Tony A