erichyeh
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2017

QC35 noise cancellation not working

Hi- I own a new QC35 (date of manufacturing: Nov 13, 2016, Firmware 1.0.6) for about a week. I successfully connect it with two devices (Macbook Air and iphone 6 plus with Bose Connect app). The noise cancellation worked fine for the first few days. For example, I could not hear my wife talking next to me while I was listening to music. However, it seems the noise cancellation functin does not work after a week. No accident. Only charge once (meaning not heavyly used). I tried serveral things (such as clear the paring with both devices and re-paring again; use anohter PC; similar sound source and my wife's talking as usual; different types of outside white noise, etc) but I can still hear outside noise now.

Any idea how to fix this issue, check the settings which may be changed without my noitce, or restore the noise cancellation function? Thanks. 

46 REPLIES 46
Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

Re: QC35 noise cancellation not working

There is nothing that you can do to fix the issue.  Take it back to the retailer.  Don't accept an exchange.  Get a refund and buy another one as a separate purchase.  That will restart the retailer's return policy just in case it's necessary.

Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

I almost forgot...

The cancellation is not 100%.  Part of the noise reduction is the result of blockage (by the earpieces).  Were the earpieces aligned properly against your ears?

erichyeh
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2017

Yes, I realize that the noise cancellation is not 100% and the earpieces aligned properly and comfortably against my ears. I did the same thing now and then but there is a significant difference. 

Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

Then I revert to my first response: Take 'em back.  I wouldn't spend time troubleshooting a new product.

JB
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2017

Hello erichyeh,

I have a very similar problem where my noise cancelling isn't working as well as it used to 2 weeks after first use and after only one charge. I first noticed it after plugging my QC35 into an areoplane jack using the supplied Bose connector. Not sure if this had any impact? Did you contact Bose? Did you learn anything else? Keen to know what the best thing to do is as I really like the noise cancelling feature.

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

JB,

Thanks for the post. Have you tried reboot the headset?

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

Let us know if that helps

Tony

JB
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2017

SRe: QC35 noise cancellation not working

Thanks for your help with this Tony. Sorry for delay in my response. For some reason Safari hasn't been letting me log into the Bose Community site, but I've been able to do it today using Chrome. 

I've followed your instructions to reboot the headset two times but haven't noticed any improvement. Perhaps the noise cancellation is just not as good as I first imagined it was. I can still hear normal conversations and other background noise (not overly loud) around me unless I turn the music in my headset up loud.

kristensmee
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2017

Re: SRe: QC35 noise cancellation not working

@JB - I am so glad I found this post! I have been having the EXACT same issues with mine! It's incredibly frustrating because of how great they were initially working. Now, I can hear my coworker (sitting about 8 feet away from me) speaking at a normal volume! I don't want to turn up the headphones too loud and make myself deaf. I've been having to listen to music quiet loud as of recently, due to it not cancelling noise, thus giving me major headaches throughout the day…

I actually got my headphones online through the Apple website, because I had a gift certificate… I wonder if they will accept them back for an exchange for a pair that works better.

Have you had any progress / updates with yours working any better?

erichyeh
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2017

I spoke to Bose tech support who suggested me to return the item to the seller for an exchange. It is not worth spending too much time trouble shooting the issue.