Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

QC35II: Keep losing MacBook Pro connection, and sound cutouts

Headphones running latest firmware (which I'm beginning to wonder might be the problem). MBP running fully updated Mojave (10.14.5). Here's the deal: every so often (once a month, perhaps 6 weeks, or so) I have to clear the device list in order for it to pair with my laptop (cans have NEVER had any problems pairing with my iPad (second generation iPad Pro running iOS 13). It'll be fine for a fortnight, then I'll have to manually connect it (via menubar BT dropdown), then it'll only connect like that for about a week, then I'll get  "Sarah's MBP lost" almost immediately after I've connected them, then I'll have to reset them and try a couple more times (they're usually stable on the third attempt). It'll be at this point that the sound will start cutting out (now, I shall have to add at this point that I can't say categorically that it's the headphones, it could be my **bleep**ty internet connection, or it could be DI). , then they won't connect at all, not even if I try to repair them, until I've cleared the device list TWICE. 

I've even switched my iPad off to see if they'd connect to the MBP - nope. It's got to the point now that I can predict when they're going to start balking - this time it's been exactly a week since they started connecting intermittently, it's like the latest firmware (if it is something to do with the latest firmware) has installed some kind of "**bleep** up countdown". When these finally cark it, that's it, I'm sorry but my next cans won't be Bose, they'll be from a company that recognises that, for some people a decent set of cans isn't a luxury - it's a necessity (I'm autistic, I use them on a daily basis; if they die, that's it, you want them back before you'll consider replacing them, and then I'll have nothing to use. There are three things I need in a set of cans: ANC, wireless and decent battery life (oh and I do love the fact I can replace the cushions, too; I'm not sure how recyclable they are, but at least I'm not having to replace the entire set simply because they've torn)).

I'm getting a tad fed up with this rigmarole; as I've stated, they have no issues connecting to my iPad but, at the moment, I want to use them with my laptop.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: QC35II: Keep losing MacBook Pro connection, and sound cutouts

Hi there, and thank you for taking the time to post!

I'm sorry to hear of the connection and audio issues you've had with your headset and understand your frustration. I would be happy to look into this for you 🎧!

As this issue is solely with your MacBook, can I ask that you check a few things for me please?

1) Please connect your headset to your Mac via the USB-A-->Micro-B cable. When connected via this cable, this may prompt you to perform an update to your drivers. If so, please do so. When connected, please click here, to go to our updater website. You already noted that this is up to date, but please confirm this from the site, and if there are any updates available, please perform these 😊.

2) When you've checked that these are up to date and all the drivers are installed, can I ask that you reset the Bluetooth module on the Mac directly? You can usually do this by holding the "Shift" + "Option (Alt)" keys on your Mac's keyboard, click the Bluetooth symbol in the top-right corner of the macOS menu bar. If you don't see this, you may need to go to System Preferences-->Bluetooth, then check "Show Bluetooth in Menu Bar".

From there, please hover over "Debug" then select the "Reset the Bluetooth module" button. Following this, please restart your Mac.

3) When your Mac boots back up, please clear the Bluetooth list on the QC35 II headset. You can do this by holding the Power/Bluetooth switch to the Bluetooth position for 10 seconds until you hear the prompt that this has been cleared. When cleared, please pair the Mac back up to your headset, and continue using this as normal.

Please let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions with the above!

Liam W - Community Support