Highlighted
Legitti
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

Re: QC35II White noise after firmware update

@Muzic_Adore wrote:
I have new one from Bose built August 2018 with serial ending with AE. All good no issues. That firmware is no longer available. You shouldn’t update to the current one which so many people are having problem with. I know I wont update until I hear back from Bose confirming that the bugs in the current firmware is fixed.

Be happy with your AE, I would trade mine anyday for those due to so many problems with fimewire. I dont care about AR, I just want good ANC.

chiobes888
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

All are AZ
tayo.moore
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 24, 2019

Exactly the same issue here, my serial number ends in AZ if that helps...

No issues beforehand, upgraded to the new firmware and now there is a persistent background hiss.

Only paired to one device, have tried resetting, issue is still there

Hi all, 

If you have already attempted all troubleshooting methods that have been suggested in this thread then  I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

FullmetalJun
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 10, 2018

I'm still on 3.1.8 with series AE & I'd say the white noise is kinda normal behaviour. The only time this wasn't present for me was on the original firmware that the headphones came with. White noise was present ever since the first update for me.
There's like hundreds of threads similar to this since qc25. It's a common problem among noise cancelling headphones.
I can conclude from this thread that the moderators are either bots or can only reply with generic answers.
They just act like it's the first time they are encountering this issue similar to the Bluetooth lag threads.
The mods just reply Reset, will report to developing team & the usual generic answers.
jason101
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

The white noise is only common on cheaper headphones IMO.

I have a £50 pair that have white noise, but my AE pair of QC35ii have NO hiss what so ever.

If the AE pair can work without the white noise, then surely they can work after the firmware upgrade, and so can the AZ pairs.

But as usual a company doesn't seem to care about an issue rather than working with us to resolve this issue.

What harm would it do? We've already found  out about the AR changes to the headphones, which we were not informed about.

I would rather a new model be created with AR rather than butcher the excellent AE batch.

When will companies learn to treat their customers with more respect?

jbrugger
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Having the AE series, being on 4.3.6, I'm really happy with them.

I don't need AR on my headphones, just want good sound and great ANC. Former 3.1.8 wasn't giving the great ANC I experienced the first time, so I'd be happy to stick to the current 4.3.6.

To others, I'd be happy if you have the AE series, I'd skip the AZ. To the ones who have an AZ, Stick to 4.1.3, or hope for another upgrade.

Just my 2 cents:)

jbrugger
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Ps reading this makes it question me that the extra bandwith needed for bluetooth communication might reduce the quality on the line. Is it possible to disable the AR Sensors on the headphones (like we can enable ANC as well) and see if quality improves?

--

How does Bose AR work?  

Sensors in Bose AR-equipped products send information wirelessly by Bluetooth to a paired iOS or Android (Android apps will come at a later date) device running an app enhanced with our SDK (or Unity plugin). A Bose AR-enhanced app running on the mobile device receives this information and uses it along with other information coming from the phone (GPS, for example) to generate audio that’s sent back by Bluetooth to the AR product.  

As an example, sensors built into the product can detect which direction someone is facing and send that information to the app running on the mobile device. The app would then use the head direction combined with GPS information, from the mobile device, to request and send audio information appropriate for the direction the person is looking.  

Similarly, sensors enable new user interface control, where a quick nod of the head “yes” can be detected by the built-in sensors and sent to the app, which indicates to the app that the person is saying yes to the offer of more information.  

It is the combination of sensors embedded in the wearable device (together with a mobile device’s existing sensors like GPS) that the app maker uses to generate audio information that augments and is superimposed on the user’s real world.  

Hi Jbrugger, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

It isn't possible to disable the AR sensors. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

jason101
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Good idea but sadly as the mod has confirmed AR can not be disabled.

But it shows that there are extra senssors in the headphones that may be cause the problem.

Also as you say the bandwidth may be being used up but he AR.

These are issues Bose should have considered.