elsig
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

QC35II White noise after firmware update

The firmware on my QC35II was updated this morning to 4.3.6. 

Now i got a faint white noise when I'm not playing music or when the volume is low.

What happened? Did they not test the firmware before releasing it. This is very annoying for a £300 headset! It now has the same hissing sound as my £20 7dayshop headphones from Amazon!!

When will this be fixed and can i downgrade to an earlier version somehow until it is? 

128 REPLIES 128

Re: QC35II White noise after firmware update

Hi Elsig! 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues regarding your QC35 II. 

I would recommend a reset of your headphones. The instructions for this can be found here.

I hope this helps! 

Jessie - Community Support 

elsig
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

Nope. Resetting made no difference

White noise is still there. It's faint but incredibly annoying! Searching the forum I can see others have mentioned the same. No issues before firmware update but with an update the noise has appeared.

Shame because I like the headphones. If I hadn't owned the headphones before the update I might not have noticed and believed it to be a feature.....but because I had no issues before yesterday it's now driving me crazy.... Right now I'm in a quiet room and wearing the headphones is more noisy than not wearing them !!

Kaliers
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 9, 2019

I can confirm.

After I made the upgrade to 4.3.6, there is a constant background noise whenever I activate ANC.

Also in the weaker ANC, there is still that noise until I turn it completely off.

It's annoying, I didn't have this noise issue in ANC beofre updating.

The suggested reset did nothing so far. 300$ headphones .....

Hello @elsig & @Kaliers,

Thank you for getting back to us!

Do you still get this audio issue when the product is on, but not connected to a device?

If this is not the case, and this is only when connected, does this happen with multiple connected devices or just the one? If so, could you reset the device you're having an issue with?

If this is occurring even when not connected to a device, please get back to me!

Liam

Community Support

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Liam_WI just upgraded the firmware and can confirm the same.  I am in a perfectly quiet room and can hear something, but my personal perception is that it doesn't sound really any different than before the upgrade - but again everyone can have a different 'perception'.  The only way to know for sure would be to have two QC35ii's - one with each firmware. After the upgrade I did turn the QC35ii off and back on but that is it.  Did not change the pairings, settings or reset anything.

I started pairing with a Win 7/64 laptop and iphone 7+ (I'm out of town - that is all I have).  I tried all three ANC's.  Personally in this quiet room, I can hear the difference with OFF but could not tell the difference between low and high.  I left it on high.

I then disconnected from both devices to listen to ANC standalone.  With no connected device I heard the exact same thing - no difference.

I get in some environments there could be a difference but right now all I have is a quiet room.  What we DON"T KNOW is exactly what changes and 'bug fixes' were made in this firmware release.  Perhaps you can find out if there were any changes made to the way ANC works and if so what those changes were.

So far, personally (until at least I get back into a plan next week to go home), I don't feel impacted by ANC.

Thanks for getting back to me @elsig,

As far as patch notes go, there haven't been any major changes to the way that noise cancelling has worked in either this or the previous patches. These have mostly been aims at increasing stability over Bluetooth, bug fixes with regards to voice prompts, cabling and most recently the groundwork for the future of AR.

If you're still experiencing this issue when the headphones are not connected to a device, and if this is still the case when you return home next week, please get in touch with your local contact team by following the link below, selecting your country/region and navigating to "Contact Us" from the bottom of that page.

Contact Us

I hope this helps!

Liam

Community Support

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Liam_W  I am just trying to provide a data point. I am not the one with the problem (and I'm the one on the trip).

Kaliers
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 9, 2019

Hello,

I still get that NAC issue when the product is on but not connected to a device.

I tried the reset procedure but it didn't fix the issue.

After I upgraded the headphones, I did notice the difference when the NAC is on as I didn't have that background noise before.

Whether NAC is set on high or low, the background noise stays at the same level.

So I am obliged to increase the volume in order to overwhelm it.

Naisu
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

I have the same issue.
There is a hiss when ANC is on that wasn't there before.
Not noticeable when outside due to external sounds, but obnoxious when in a relative quiet environment (like home) with ANC on + low volume.