Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 30, 2019

Re: QC35II White noise after firmware update

Same here.  I bought a pair of QC35 II during the Black Friday event and only today tried to update the firmware.  I now hear low volume white noise all the time.

This is unacceptable.  I will see if I can still return the product to buy headphones from a company that takes QA seriously.

Otherwise, I will need Bose to give me back my money.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

Hi people, I didn't read every single message in this chain, but I can offer a solution that worked for me.

The symptom: rather than noise "cancelling", it seemed to magnify all ambient noise, i.e. I could hear an ant having a snack.

The solution: for me the symptom only happened via my laptop connection (OSX), not the phone connection.  Going to my OSX audio prefs and moving the audio "input" off my headphones and back to the onboard mic solved it. 

It would seem that when the headphones serve as input --at least for laptop--, they are listening the whole time and sending that signal to your headphones.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

Bose : I will give you my headset. If you can fix this issue, just send it back. If not, keep it.

Just tell me if you'd like to do this and how.

We have a local Bose store (I think they're still there). I can bring the headset in, maybe get them to verify the issue, and give it to them to redirect to Support/Engineering. Ideally they would give me a replacement but I don't even care about that anymore.

With all of my complaining to family and friends about the hissing, and their complaining to me that our phone conversations aren't always clear, I'd really like to dump Bose forever. But I'd like to give the company this shot to take my device and do whatever they can.

I actually don't need it anymore. For Christmas a friend gave me a $40 no-name headset and it works great ... no ANC but no static either. My wife and I have been looking for her - the requirements list includes "not Bose".

C'mon folks. Make us believers again. Take my device and figure out how to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 30, 2019

Forget about it.  I was able to return the headphones.  I bought the direct competitor and could not be happier.

Won't be buying a Bose product for a long time...

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

Status update: I haven't used my Bose for about a month. Let it power drain. Fully recharged. Just started using it again. No static yet with limited usage. I'm not saying this is a solution. I'm just saying that for right now I don't have static ... and it's usually right after posting a note like this that it starts up again. 😉

I know Bose doesn't actually monitor these threads and doesn't really care about this issue. This is for anyone else who has this problem.

I did try to update the firmware using the Windows tool from Bose that links to their website. The browser/utility no longer recognizes this device. I dunno if they gave up on supporting it, moving on to the new v70 device for a new generation of the same-ol same-ol. But this is just another insult on top of the others. I'm glad I have my $40 no-name replacement.

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 17, 2019

I have the same issue. After FW update I can hear a clear white noise. Reseting does not help! Only if I completely turn off ANC - white noise goes away. FW version: 4.5.2.