Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: QC35II White noise after firmware update

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you all for providing us this information and I apologise for the issue this has caused. I have raised this with our development team to look into and we will provide you with an update accordingly.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Hi, I have two pairs of QC35ii headphones.

The first pair I bought over 6months ago and there is no white noise what so ever when using ANC in a quiet room.  I haven't upgraded them from the original firmware they came with. < 3 something.

But the 2nd pair I bought only recently and were already updated to 4.1.3 had white noise from the start.

So when 4.3.6 came through I had nothing to lose by upgrading. I still have white noise but less so than before.

I'm not sure what is happening with the firmware updates, it may not be the ANC aspect that is affecting the headphones, it could be some other interaction with the hardware such as the microphones or even the battery as the noise seems to get worse as the battery runs down.

Resetting doesn't work, btw.

The first pair are perfect. The ANC works great and there is no white noise (like listening to a seashell).

There seems to be enough of us who have reported this issue for this to warrent some sort of investigation and hopefully solution.

It may not seem like a problem to some but the constant hiss when there is no sound (such as during a break in the music) is very annoying, and spoils what is a good product.

Thanks

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Jason,

I understand what I might say might not bring us any further to a solution, however I would like anybody that is having this issue to try this:

• Try a different pair of Bluetooth headphones if you have any, and tell me whether you get that static in between music.
  • Also, when you turn ANC off and listen to music, do you still get the same static in between the music?

Hopefully we can break this down and figure out whether there is an issue with the ANC or just the overall headphone at this point.

What would also be quite handy is if anybody who is having this issue, could PM me details such as the following:

• Phone Make and Model
  • Operating System Version of Phone
  • Firmware Version of Headphones
  • Application Version
  • Model of Headphones

This information would be great to pass onto someone who can attempt to replicate your issues so we can find out where this is originating from.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Well like I said, I'm using 2 different pairs of QC35ii headphones.

One pair doesn't have white noise in a quiet room with the ANC on or when it is off.

The other pair does have white noise when the ANC is on and doesn't have white noise when it is off.

The only time I don't hear the white noise when the ANC is on, is when either the sound playing on the headphones covers the white noise, or when the back ground noise outside the headphones covers it. But I use them in a quiet room to block out noises from neighbours such as drilling or lawn mowers.

One other thing I forgot to mention in my first post, was that the connectivity of the 2nd pair is weaker than the first pair. I can go to my hall way with the first pair without them cutting out, but the 2nd pair cut out before I get to the hallway. Which makes me wonder if it is a hardware issue. Perhaps a lower quality component (or faulty components) have been used in a certain batch of headphones?

They certainly seem less quality in terms of bluetooth and noise cancelling than my other pair.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

I see. No worries, would you be able to send me the serial number of the pair that are having the most issues, like Bluetooth range. I would like to see if we have any service options available to you.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

Hello Brandon_C,

To answer your inquiry for the issue reproduction :

-It doesn't matter wether headphones are connect or not (connected to phone, or pc, or not connected at all)

-4.3.6 firmware version of the headphone.

-White noise is there wether ANC is set on high or low. 

-White noise is absent when ANC is turned off.

-White noise seems to get more noticeable when battery gets lower (like 50%).

-Issue needs to be reproduced in a quiet environment (like home) without listening to anything or listening to something but on low volume.

Regards.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Yes that is exactly the same thing that happens with my 2nd pair of headphones.

Especially the white noise getting worse as the battery runs down.

Highlighted

Hi All! 

Thank you for taking the time to post to the community and for raising these issues! 

Every post here has been most helpful in providing details to the developers so we can hopefully get this resolved. 

I would encourage you to contact your local Technical Support Team so we can assist you in getting your headphones up and running again.

The contact details can be found HERE, select your country of residence and scroll down to 'Contact Us'. 

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to you.

Kindest, 

Jessie_O - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Thanks for the standard reply.

I am agoraphobic and can't go out nor can I spend time and money sending the headphones back and forth, especially when I know this issue hasn't been resolved so a new pair may have the same problem.

Thankfully the latest firmware update has lessened the noise to a managable level and I use my 2nd pair while I'm charging the main pair.

This issue should be of major concern for Bose, not just something to deal with on a per headphone basis as it seem to be a common fault.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

I don't think the "white noise when ANC is on" issue is enough for the warranty service to offer you a new pair of headphones that aren't in 4.3.6.

IMO, they will just ship it back to me saying it's working fine. And they wouldn't be lying because it is turning on and blasting sound.

Hopefully, you guys make a firmware update that solves the issue as it seems that's impacting many folks.