chiobes888
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Re: QC35II White noise after firmware update

OK. I have an AE pair which I updated to 4.3.6 because the app offers the update and I was intrigued by the new AR feature. Spent more than an hour trying to get it to work with the Radar app, but kept failing. Then I read from some forum and learned that there is a hardware difference between AE batch and AZ. Apparently ONLY the AZ supports the new AR feature with the new hardware in it. Bose should have mentioned this as not to waste their customers’ time.

Fast forward, I bought another pair with AZ serial number. Got the new AZ to work with Radar app (which AR Audio is a joke btw).

I used the new AZ pair like I would with my AE pair normally. Commute in the NYC: Walk 4 blocks to bus stop, get on the bus, off the bus, walk into the subway, ride the train, etc.

I can confirm the AUDIO cutting out 3-4 times during each 4-5 minutes song. It is very annoying! Placing my hand the right ear cup makes the audio stutter. Walking away from my iPhone XS Max about 10 feet makes the audio cut out also. Whatever new hardware is in the AZ definitely has very weak bluetooth connectivity. White noise is also present.

I could not replicate the audio cutting out on my AE pair. Thus, the weak bluetooth, audio cutting out, and white noise are ONLY present on the AZ headphones. Both are on 4.3.6
Jeff_G

Hi Chiobes888, 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing the audio cutting out on your QC35 II headphones. As this is a new purchase, can you please check to ensure the headphones are running the latest firmware. Please also try clearing pairing, and perform a new setup to see if the issue persists. If you have alternative smartphones available to you, please try pairing with them to see if you experience the same issues. 

Covering the earcup shields the Bluetooth receiver on the headphones so this can have a detrimental effect on the connection which is only exacerbated by other sources of interference nearby. We would not recommend doing this in day to day use if you wish to maintain a good connection. 

Kind regards

Jeff G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
chiobes888
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

A year and a half old QC35II with AE serial number has no issues on latest firmware 4.3.6. No noise. No audio cut out, even if you cover the right ear cup, will not have any effect on audio. Newly bought QC35II with AZ serial already came with 4.3.6 firmware preinstalled. Audio cut out 3-4 times every each song. Covering the right ear cup makes the audio cut out even worse. I’m not covering it with my hand because I’m dumb, but I’m ONLY doing it to test in comparison with the other headphones to see if there is any difference. The result is that the AE has no effect while then AZ cuts out even worse as mentioned above. I do not have any other iPhone to test, but in comparison between headphones the result is night and day. I would like to downgrade the firmware on the AZ if possible. This AR audio feature is not worth the compromise of the audio cutting out.

PS both headphones AE and AZ are on latest firmware 4.3.6. Troublesome AZ headphones have been reset, cleared, removed, & re-paired with no help at all.
Hector_B

Hi Chiobes88, 

Thanks for getting in touch, we are very sorry to hear that you are having this issue. We no longer support firmware downgrades. 

I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
stevenlee29171
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 16, 2019

Obviously Bose doesn't and refuse to support firmware downgrade even though tons of users demand it. In this era where most major companies were hacked, I'm surprise that none of the Bose QC35ii users can somehow find a way to downgrade the firmware, lol. You would think some of us are super high tech savvy programmers.

Just my .02
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@stevenlee29171  I have seen some 'sites' for things like dash cams, where older firmware is available.  The problem quite simply is, especially in U.S. that the firmware in Bose products is intellectual property and covered by copyright.  Any U.S. based site would be quickly shut down and the owners subject to litigation.  I can't speak for non-US sites and I am NOT a lawyer nor do I work for Bose.  But as a film composer, I am 'sensitized' to copyright issues.

chiobes888
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

There was trick that while your headphones are connected to your computer and you’re on btu.bose.com, you press A,D,V, arrow up, and arrow down on your keyboard, will enable advanced mode, there you can select whichever firmware you want to flash your headphones. I tried this trick yesterday, it goes to advanced service mode, but the dropdown list where you would select the firmware versions is empty, however.
chiobes888
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

I contacted bose phone support, they offered to exchange the headphone with a brand new one, however they don’t do an advanced exchange. Meaning, they will need receive your headphones first prior to sending out the replacement. Which means you will be without your ANC headphones for the next 15 days. They used to send replacement first and you send the old one back in the same shipping box the replacement came in and use the return label they send along. Not anymore.
Prince_O
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Hello Elsig,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the community.  We are sorry to hear about the faint white noise in your QC 35 ii. We would like to know if the issue is with only one particular device, if not could you try connecting the QC 35 ii to a different device.

If this does not solve the issue, we would recommend you giving the QC 35 ii a system reset by clicking HERE which should correct these types of issue. Reconnect again to your device after the reset is completed.

Downgrading is something we no longer do and if you want further information I suggest you give your local Call Centre by clicking HERE. Select your country of residence, scroll down to the page and select contact us.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Prince_O 

jason101
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Yes I totally agree. The AR is not worth the cuts and the shorter working distance.

Mine also cut out if I cover the right ear cup.

This is obviously a design fault but yet again a company take not responsibility.