Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 14, 2020

QC35II headphones cut out intermittently

I bought a pair of Bose QC35II headphones almost 2 years ago.  Initially, they worked fine but started pausing the music for a half second every 15 to 20 minutes.  Annoying in a nearly $400 product.  Then last year they started stopping and starting the music off and on whenever the screen is locked and the phone placed in my pocket.  This doesn't happen on any other device I connect the phone to and it happens when I've used my Motorola/Android phone or my Samsung/Android work phone.  I've tried turning off wi-fi, turning off alerts, putting the phone in airplane mode and turning bluetooth back on, nothing works on either phone.  The QC35IIs have the latest and greatest firmware installed.  I've even gone so far as to completely delete any other devices besides my Motorola and that did nothing.  I've only had the phones connected to two devices simultaneously once.  I've seen other threads on this forum about other models with this problem and I've seen that Bose hasn't been able/willing to address the problem.  Has anyone stumbled across a fix?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 14, 2020

Re: QC35II headphones cut out intermittently

Nuthin?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

Just wanted to chime in and say that I’m experiencing the same issue. It started 6 months ago, about 1 year after I bought and started using them. The only workaround I have found so far is to keep charging them every time they aren’t being used. I really wouldn’t call this a solution though... They seem to break the bluetooth connection a bit less at max charge.
I tried every other “solution” in the other threads and other forums without success. The repair option is offering me to replace them for another 300$... Not a chance. I even saw someone in a thread say the new pair (s)he received still had the issue. My relative with his 60$ headphone doesn’t have to deal with anything like this and it’s been used way more then my bose.

Here’s hoping this issue is taken seriously.

Highlighted

Hey Ch90 and vzhq16, 

Thank you both for posting. I'm sorry to hear that you are both having a similar cutting out issue with your QC35 II's. 

Firstly I would like to know if this issue happens when only connected to one device, or only when connected to two devices? Let's perform a reset of the headset by following these steps below: 

• Power off your product
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger
  • Wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset
  • Wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

I look forward to hearing back from you both with further information. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

What you are asking me to test is something I do passively in my every day usage. Difference being with the time in between every action (as seen bellow) and the number of paired device

• Power off your product (yes)
  • Wait 30 seconds (longer in my use case)
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger (yes)
  • Wait five seconds (usually until fully charged)
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset (yes)
  • Wait one minute (usually more in my use case)
  • Power on your product. (yes)

But I’ll do the test to the letter, with a single device pairing, and report back after I’ve completely drained the battery or lose the bluetooth pairing again.

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

Hey all,

I finished the test doing the reset above and using only a single device. I used a full charge and there hasn’t been a disconnect since. It’s been 6 months since the last time my HP have been reliable like this. This either confirm the reset suggested has worked or that the issue isn’t present while only a single device is paired.

Device: Iphone7+

Apps used: Netflix, Youtube, Google Play Music, Teams, Phone.

I’ll do another round of test, this time using multiple devices but always keeping a single bluetooth pairing active and removing the other connections after each transition.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

Hey all,

So today I’ve had a total of 3 disconnects testing on my Q80T samsung tv. I’ve repeated the reset process posted above after it disconnected twice but it happened again after 45 minutes.

Does this mean my product is defective?

I’m on 4.5.2.

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

So... any other suggestion @Hector_B ?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

Solved on my end by 4.8.1 update. There’s a momentary sound downgrade every now and again but it isn’t very frequent and it’s back at peak performance after a couple seconds. Much better then a disconnect, stutter or audio offsync. I can live with that.

@Hector_B and Bose

If i may add my 2 cent at the end of this ordeal, I would have been happy just being told you were aware of the issue and working on a fix. Wondering for 6 months if I had a defective unit or if it was a software issue wasn’t nice.

Thanks for the patch! I feel better about my purchase now 🙂