Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

QC700 how to use a new purchase without updating the firmware? (e.g stick to 1.3)

Bose product name: QC700

Firmware Version: 1.3.x

App Version: 4.2.4

As I need to replace a defective pair of QC700's, and having not understood that installing the app and running everything will automatically upgrade the firmware of the headphone - I am keen to try a new pair with what will probably be the 1.3.x firmware I briefly noticed when I got my last pair. As I too have found the 1.8.2 has stuttering issues - I am keen to try 1.3.x which I think a new pair will have installed when they arrive.

Are there any steps to use to let me try the headphones in this configuration? I think I read something buried in one of the threads here, but I am not sure where it was described.  As I already have the app installed on my phone and am registered etc - I am wondering if I can use the headphones without upgrading things by potentially disabling something (although this might not be possible, as you need to run the app to swap your 2 connected devices, and I have a list of 4 things I want to use).

Anyway - are there any user tips for working around the mess that Bose seems to be in at the moment? Ideally I would like to establish if these headphones can work properly for the usecase they are advertised for (I will say that call quality hasn't been an issue for me - and so I am happy on that front - which was a primary usage for me)

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

Re: QC700 how to use a new purchase without updating the firmware? (e.g stick to 1.3)

Author Accepted Answer selected by 365nice

@365nice,

I used the method of this thread (post Nr 164).

Basically, the point is never to allow a connection of the app to your headphone with internet. 

Edit: please note this was with a previous version of the app. I hope this is still the case now. But seen the latest development on these issues, I can't be sure that bose did not find a way to still shove the update down the user's throat. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

Re: QC700 how to use a new purchase without updating the firmware? (e.g stick to 1.3)

Author Accepted Answer selected by 365nice

@365nice,

I used the method of this thread (post Nr 164).

Basically, the point is never to allow a connection of the app to your headphone with internet. 

Edit: please note this was with a previous version of the app. I hope this is still the case now. But seen the latest development on these issues, I can't be sure that bose did not find a way to still shove the update down the user's throat. 

View solution in original post

Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

@Gneuh many thanks for passing this on - new headphones have arrived, I found I didn't need to uninstall the app, I just put it in airplane mode (which keeps bluetooth on), setup my new headphones and connected to my devices and then terminated the bose app, re-enabled wifi and WOW the headphones now work like they should with no glitching when listening to music when connected to 2 devices. Sure - there is no EQ in that setup, but I'll take the default sound over a glitching sound anyday.

Bose, you need to sort this out - I'm just lucky that my last headphones blew up while still in a 30 day warranty and I got to try them out again in a pristine state.  I can totally understand why there are a lot of upset users here.

Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

Happy to have been of service, I wish I had known it then (I only could prevent the update to 1.8.2,but the headphones were then automatically updated to 1.7.0). 

But on a side note, hats off to you for trying again after a safety problem (which in my view occurred lately suspiciously often in this forum alone).

@bose, still boasting about the countless advantages of the updated firmware to prevent any downgrade?