Qiet Comford 35 II - Headphone Cups Perishing

Bose product name

Quiet Comfort 35 II

Country

UK

Firmware Version

App Version

Most Recent

The problem I have is that the headphone cups are perishing... I'm sure this shouldn't be happening... they are 3 years old and always stored in their case when not in use. They're not used in extreme temperatures etc. The site says they only have a 2 year warrenty... but it seems that this is a quality of material issue and I don't think Bose would expect this to be happening. Anyone else experienced this? I'm considering claiming via the Sale of Goods act.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Qiet Comford 35 II - Headphone Cups Perishing

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jeff_G

The cushions are perishable items and will generally last 2-4 years.  I've known people that only get 6 months out of them (they generally workout in them), and I've seen people get 6 years out of them (although seeing the cushions, I would have replaced them before that)

Like tyres on a car you expect to change the tyres a couple of times before the car gets to a point you can't drive it.

Two things that generally affect the lifespan are moisture and contact.

Moisture - working out in them gets them sweaty.  using them for a 5 hour flight gets them sweaty.  Humidity will affect them.   People think that after a long flight, put them back in the case and in a drawer is the best thing.  Unfortunately that traps the moisture in, so they need to air first.

Contact - Stubble/beards, glasses, earrings can all rub at the cushions and deteriorate them faster.

The cushions are easily replaceable by the user, and can be purchased from the Bose website

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jeff_G

The cushions are perishable items and will generally last 2-4 years.  I've known people that only get 6 months out of them (they generally workout in them), and I've seen people get 6 years out of them (although seeing the cushions, I would have replaced them before that)

Like tyres on a car you expect to change the tyres a couple of times before the car gets to a point you can't drive it.

Two things that generally affect the lifespan are moisture and contact.

Moisture - working out in them gets them sweaty.  using them for a 5 hour flight gets them sweaty.  Humidity will affect them.   People think that after a long flight, put them back in the case and in a drawer is the best thing.  Unfortunately that traps the moisture in, so they need to air first.

Contact - Stubble/beards, glasses, earrings can all rub at the cushions and deteriorate them faster.

The cushions are easily replaceable by the user, and can be purchased from the Bose website

View solution in original post

haverer
Participant
Registered since

Jan 16, 2021

Read and understood. thanks. It's a shame I didn't realise the low quality/life span of the chosen material before I bought them. Lesson learned. I won't be buying Bose in future. I expect more longevity. They were lightly used and well cared for. 

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

It's not about low quality, but comfort.  In making them soft and comfortable, unfortunately they will also be less durable.

I've had many brands of headphones, and almost all of them have been a hard synthetic feel to the cushions.  The gaming ones I've worn have even had rough textures on the cups (supposedly to help the sweat move away, but they have been unbearable.

So I'm happy enough to buy new cushions every three or four years.