Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

Question: QC 35 Ii connected to Echo Device - Range

One of the features I like to use with the QC 35 Ii headphones is voice assistant capability, both Siri and Alexa. I have an Echo located upstairs (3rd floor of house). I exercise in the basement and happened to leave my cell phone upstairs. I used voice command and asked Alexa to play a radio station. The device "heard" me but it took a few attempts. However, playback was choppy/broken up. Upstairs or even in the kitchen (2nd floor), there are no issues. 

Questions: Do I need to keep my phone close by or is there an issue with bluetooth range with the Echo being upstairs? Will a WIFI extender help or would I need a 2nd Echo device in the basement?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Question: QC 35 Ii connected to Echo Device - Range

Author Accepted Answer selected by nikkorman

The second echo device and wifi extender will likely not help as the headphones are connected to the Wifi through the BT connection on the phone.  The headphones don't have any form of wifi in them.

What I think is happening is that there is just enough connection for your headphones to talk to the alexa server (not the echo device), but not enough to play constant music.  So Headphones are talking to alexa server (through the phone), and the Alexa server is starting playback on the phone, and that is where the bt connection back to the headphones is not enough.  It's not actually talking to your echo device at all.  

BT generally has a range of 10m (33 ft I think), however walls, floors, and interference can shorten that distance.  So the only way to fix this is to have the playback device nearby.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by nikkorman

The second echo device and wifi extender will likely not help as the headphones are connected to the Wifi through the BT connection on the phone.  The headphones don't have any form of wifi in them.

What I think is happening is that there is just enough connection for your headphones to talk to the alexa server (not the echo device), but not enough to play constant music.  So Headphones are talking to alexa server (through the phone), and the Alexa server is starting playback on the phone, and that is where the bt connection back to the headphones is not enough.  It's not actually talking to your echo device at all.  

BT generally has a range of 10m (33 ft I think), however walls, floors, and interference can shorten that distance.  So the only way to fix this is to have the playback device nearby.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

@Morlock Thanks for your reply. When my phone is nearby, it seems to work a lot better. It must connect through the Alexa app somehow.