Quiet comfort 35 is paired but can't connect

SOLVED
Quiet Contributor

Quiet comfort 35 is paired but can't connect

Hi,

I have a quiet comfort headphone, it works perfectly on my android phone. I tried connecting it to my computer (Dell xps15) but after pairing I couldn't connect to the headphones.
First of all, I'd like to mention that a friend of mine has the same headphone and his connects to my computer.

Whenever i try to connect from my laptop, after clicking on my headphone to connect, it says "device is ready to go". But i didn't hear my headphone make the connection sounds and when looking in de bose app from my android phone it doens't show any connection to my laptop.

I tried to troubleshoot my computer, redownloaded my bluetooth drivers and set the Bluetooth support Service startup type to "automatic". None of these solutions helped.

Did someone have the same issue and managed to fix it ?

Thanks a lot for you help.

Nicolas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by NicolasV

Accepted Solutions
Wistful Whiz

Re: Quiet comfort 35 is paired but can't connect

I have a Dell Precision M4800 Laptop with Intel Bluetooth drivers (you didn't say which vendor supplies your BT).  What I have seen and personally learnt is that Windows is quite finicky (both 7/64 which I have and 10) and the connection mileage will vary based on the vendor who supplies the BT drivers.  I can't speak here specificially for 10 but I can tell you that as far as services go - doing it in device manager is not the way to do it.  You have two different Bluetooth profiles (one for stereo audio rendering/A2DP and one for voice over IP for phone calls (HFP).  Once the device is paired (and assuming you see it in your Bluetooth devices windows NOT grayed out), you need to start the profile services.  In Win 7/64, you do double click on the device to see two entities (with Intel its two underlined links) and you click on the one or both to start things go.  If they time out, you've got a problem and have to get rid of everything.  Start with no drivers and factory reset your Bose and try again.  And BTW - if you drivers don't seem to work, try something newer or even up to two years older (as long as it supports BT 4.x).  Intel, for example has 4 or 5 different sets of drivers for its combined wifi/BT mini-card which my laptop uses.  And it behooves me to figure out why one Bose device does not work and another identical does.  Bose does not test much if any at all on laptops as they say there are too many configurations to test.  So if your Bose works with a phone but not a windows or mac machine, they will probably (I do not work for Bose so I don't want to put words in their mouth - ask them) say its an Apple, Microsoft, Intel or Dell issue.  Hopefully you can get it to work so there will be no fingerpointing.  Last Fall I had your issue with ALL my Bose devices and every vendor pointed to the other.  I ended up getting it to work by imaging my hard disk back to my June 30, 2018 backup and to this day, I have no idea what changed after that that caused the issue as I have since reinstalled and upgraded windows and the apps and have the SAME driver that previously didn't work.

5 REPLIES 5
Wistful Whiz

I have a Dell Precision M4800 Laptop with Intel Bluetooth drivers (you didn't say which vendor supplies your BT).  What I have seen and personally learnt is that Windows is quite finicky (both 7/64 which I have and 10) and the connection mileage will vary based on the vendor who supplies the BT drivers.  I can't speak here specificially for 10 but I can tell you that as far as services go - doing it in device manager is not the way to do it.  You have two different Bluetooth profiles (one for stereo audio rendering/A2DP and one for voice over IP for phone calls (HFP).  Once the device is paired (and assuming you see it in your Bluetooth devices windows NOT grayed out), you need to start the profile services.  In Win 7/64, you do double click on the device to see two entities (with Intel its two underlined links) and you click on the one or both to start things go.  If they time out, you've got a problem and have to get rid of everything.  Start with no drivers and factory reset your Bose and try again.  And BTW - if you drivers don't seem to work, try something newer or even up to two years older (as long as it supports BT 4.x).  Intel, for example has 4 or 5 different sets of drivers for its combined wifi/BT mini-card which my laptop uses.  And it behooves me to figure out why one Bose device does not work and another identical does.  Bose does not test much if any at all on laptops as they say there are too many configurations to test.  So if your Bose works with a phone but not a windows or mac machine, they will probably (I do not work for Bose so I don't want to put words in their mouth - ask them) say its an Apple, Microsoft, Intel or Dell issue.  Hopefully you can get it to work so there will be no fingerpointing.  Last Fall I had your issue with ALL my Bose devices and every vendor pointed to the other.  I ended up getting it to work by imaging my hard disk back to my June 30, 2018 backup and to this day, I have no idea what changed after that that caused the issue as I have since reinstalled and upgraded windows and the apps and have the SAME driver that previously didn't work.

Quiet Contributor

Hey,

What worked for me was to reset my PC. I don't have a clear idea of what was wrong but since I've reset my PC everything's working fine again.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

@NicolasV  Just wondering... when you use the word 'reset' - did you mean 'reboot' or you restored an image from a previous backup --- or does it mean something else?

Quiet Contributor

In windows 10 there is an option to set a PC back to factory settings. There I could chose to keep personal files or remove them.
All applications I had installed were uninstalled but it's not really a problem since I can just downlaod them again.
I hope I'm making any sense! 

Wistful Whiz

@NicolasV  That is pretty much close to a full widows reinstall.  The only thing more severe would be reformatting the hard disk and installing windows from CD and then re-applying all the windows updates.  I chose not to do that unless I had to since I have over 100 applications and getting the apps reinstalled and the data back (even with a separate disk for most of my data on a "D:" drive) takes me over a week - been there many times.  So every 4 to 6 months, I create a backup image.  I started with my June 30, 2018 image and then only had to reinstall and upgrade about 5 apps.  For some reason, like you, BT started working again.  I don't know if it was a file change or registry entry changes or whatever - but after all the apps were reinstalled and all the windows updates were reapplied, it still worked.  So something that happened between Jun and Nov last year messed it up but I really still don't know what it was.