Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kroppian
Participant
Registered since

Aug 14, 2020

QuietComfort 35 II won't stop saying battery level + mosquito whine

Hi all,

When my headphones are plugged in, the voice just starts this cycle of saying: "battery 90 per-- battery 10 perce-- battery 90 per-- battery 20 p-- battery 60 per--," and so on and so on. I can't notice a pattern in the battery level. And as the headphones does this number, the sound cancellation turns on and off the whole time. I can't connect to any Bluetooth device, or clear the devices, or really do anything besides listen to the headphones sputter the incorrect battery level.

Also, there's a high pitched, mosquito noise that is on in the background whenever the sound cancellation cycles on for 2 or 3 seconds.

It usually stops after a few seconds (battery levels, sound cancellation and whine), and must power off, since I haven't been able to drain the battery for the last few weeks.

Other weird details: when I tap on the headphones, it interrupts what ever battery level is currently being read and it restarts to the next random number. Also, if I place my finger on either side of the headphones, I can slightly alter the amplitude of the high pitched whine.

Clearly something is very wrong. I want to know what part in particular could cause these symptoms. They're out of warranty, so I'm hoping there's a DIY solution, like replacing the switch or replacing another broken component. Because I can actually alter the message and the whine by physically touching the headphones, it makes me think that there's some mechanical failure.

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe

--update-- I plugged in my headphones for a few seconds, unplugged, and now it won't stop the cycling. It's been doing the battery level routine for about an hour. While this was happening, my Android phone just detected them and tried to pair. But the pairing fails. Other than that, everything is the same.

3 REPLIES 3
Hector_B

Re: QuietComfort 35 II won't stop saying battery level + mosquito whine

Hello Kroppian, 

Welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to read that you are having some strange issues with your QC35 II's. This isn't something I have seen before with any of our headsets but would love to offer some troubleshooting steps. 

To start with I would recommend performing a reset on the headset by following these steps below: 

• Power off your product
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger
  • Wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset
  • Wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

Once you have performed the reset please ensure that your headset is up to date with the latest firmware version. To do this please connect your headset to a PC/Mac via the USB charging cable. Once connected please visit our online updater and follow the on-screen instructions.

We look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
kroppian
Participant
Registered since

Aug 14, 2020

Thanks for the suggestions. I followed the reset steps you described multiple times without any luck. 

I was able to successfully update the firmware, but the main problem persists.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for the update kroppian!

From what you have said about being able to alter the message and the whine by physically touching the headphones it does sound like there is something in the hardware of your headphones that is causing this. As such I would recommend getting in touch with your local support team to discuss the service options. Even if you do believe you are out of warranty, they will be able to help you resolve this issue as we do have out of warranty service options as well.

You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!