Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

QuietComfort 35 Random Ear-Piercing High-Pitched Tone in Right Ear

I have sifted through a number of similar issues in this forum, but in my case my (newly manufacturer refurbished) QC35 headphones have twice now produced an ear-piercing tone in the right ear. I received the headphones a few weeks ago directly from Bose, and when it happened once, I thought it might just be an anomaly. But it has happened again today, which would seem to indicate a problem.

At no point have the headphones been damaged, and neither occurrence was preceded by any physical interference with the headphones. Each time, I was merely sitting and working in deep thought at my desk. At some point after the first occurrence, it seemed like perhaps the noise-cancelling had changed slightly; although, it is also possible that I have simply become accustomed to it. If anything, I would say the noise-cancelling is slightly more noisy than it used to be: sounding a bit like a distant but constant breeze, whereas previously I perceived it more as pressure than sound.

Since the first occurrence, I have updated the headphones' firmware to 3.0.3. And since today's occurrence, I performed the reset procedure. However, because this problem happens randomly and without any provocation, I don't immediately know whether or not this has helped. I'm posting in the hope that this is a known issue to which there is a fast and simple fix that won't require me to file a warranty claim.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: QuietComfort 35 Random Ear-Piercing High-Pitched Tone in Right Ear

Hello, 

Sorry that you are experiencing some high pitch tones from your QuietComfort 35 headphones. I can understand your frustrations regarding this and we would love to help. 

Thanks for trying some troubleshooting, a reset and firmware update were two great first steps to perform. 

What I would next suggest you do is that you check that your headphone cushions are securely connected. If these are loose, you could be experiencing some feedback in the microphones which provide the active noise cancellation technology. 

Do let us know how you get on. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Re: QuietComfort 35 Random Ear-Piercing High-Pitched Tone in Right Ear

I checked the cushions as you suggested. Nothing seemed loose or disconnected in any way, but I followed the Ear cushion replacement page to make certain I checked for everything correctly. There has not been another ear-piercing tone yet; although, it is a completely random problem so it could happen again any time now or later. However, I truly hope the issue has been resolved by whatever means. I will update again should the problem persist.