warant
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

QuietComfort 35 (Series I)

Hello all,

I have a pair of the QuietComfort 35 (Series I) headphones (silver), and was wondering if there is less sound cancelling when they are plugged in (stereo cable) versus connecting via bluetooth?

I ask this question because I know that there are three noice cancellation settings on the Bose App (iPhone) when connected via bluetooth: "Off," "Low," and "High." And for some reason, it sounds quieter when I have them plugged in.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know the level of noise cancellation the headphones use when plugged in?

2. Does anyone else seem to notice a drop in volume when plugged in versus using blutooth?

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: QuietComfort 35 (Series I)

Hello Warant, 

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your headphones. 

When you have your headphones plugged in via stereo cable, are you able to cycle through the different Noise Cancellation settings? 
When pressing the Action button you should hear the voice description of the three different modes. This shouldn't change between the Bluetooth connection or the wired connection.

If you could test this and let me know what results you get. 

I will be looking forward to hearing from you, 

Kind regards 

Liam G - Community Support

warant
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

Hello Liam,

Thank you for the information. I hooked up the headset via stereo cable to my iPhone 8, and unfortunatley nothing happens when I press the action button. As an aside, when I am connected via Bluetooth, the action button activates play/pause.

There is no button on the left earphone. I see one on the QC35 II, but I have the QC35 I.

I would welcome any additional advice or troubleshooting steps you may have.

Thank you,

-Warant

Hi @warant !

Thank you for elaborating here, and I'd be happy to follow up with you. Can I ask that you check/adjust the following for me to see if we can get this running as smoothly as possible with you?

1) The headphones must be turned on to cancel noise and reproduce audio from the connected source. When the switch on the right earcup is in the On position, the green LED will be illuminated. If the LED does not glow, please let me know!

2) When you are connected via Bluetooth, please change this between High, Low, and Off. When on each setting, disconnect the Bluetooth and connect the cable instead, then please let me know if you encounter any kind of different between the settings when cabled vs wireless.

3) Glasses, earrings and hats may cause the headphone cushion to not form a tight seal around the ear. Remove any of these items and retest the noise cancelling feature!

Please return to me when possible to let me know what happens with the above!

Liam W

warant
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

Hello Liam,

Here are my responses to your questions:

1. The green LED is illuminated.

2. I can change the settings between High, Low, and Off, but only from the app on my iPhone. Is there a way to do this without using the phone? (I could not find this in the manual). Also, as I do not have an action button (as stated in my previous post), I do not know to toggle through the settings when connect via the stereo cable (also, not in the manual).

3. These items are not involved in this issue.

I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,

-Warant

Hi Warant, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

When you plug in a stereo cable, this will turn off all the features on the headset itself including the Bluetooth and the volume controls. 

If you are noticing a difference in the Noise Canceling with a cable verse via Bluetooth. If is likely that the default will be on medium compared to high. Without a Bluetooth connection to the application, you will be unable to change the level of Noise Canceling. 

I hope I have helped to clarify your issue. If there is anything else I can do for you please reach out to us again.

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Highlighted
warant
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

Hello Jessie,

Thank you for the follow-up to my question. If the default is in fact medium (compared to high) when the stereo cable is plugged in, is there any way to change the default?

Thank you,

-Anthony

Hi Warant, 

Thank you for coming back to me!

In regards to your query, I do not believe there is a way to do this. You could try changing it when in Bluetooth and then popping the cable in. 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

warant
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

Hello Jesse,

I did as you suggested, and changed the Noise Cancelling feature using Bluetooth, and then cable connected (I set my iPhone at the same volume when both wired and Bluetooth). When changing the settings via Bluetooth, they did not not seem to stay once wired. And for some reason, it still sounds a bit louder/more clear when using Bluetooth versus a wired connection--kind of perplexing.

I think we have taken this as far as we can, and do thank you for your assistance.
-Warant

P.S. I just updated the firmware, so and did not notice a difference.