Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Bose QC35 II serial 2

Country Brazil

Firmware Version 4.5.2

App Version 14.0

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

(Samsung Galaxy S20 and  Samsung Galaxy S10.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

My head phone Bose QC35II Always is blutooth Light white on, even when it's off. This problem causes the battery to discharge very fast. Please help me, I've tried everything.

What environment do you experience the issue in?

All the time, The white light bluetooth indication is on continuously.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

The problem started two weeks ago, before it worked correctly

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Yes

k-ho
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2020

Thank you so much for the description and pictures.  The fix on page 39 worked for me.  I created a switch guard using a piece of hose for those times when I need to use the case.  I thought I would share the idea with others.IMG_3720.jpgIMG_3721.jpg

cnugs127
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

Bose product name

QC35

Country

USA

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

iPhone 11

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

QC35 constantly turns on and connects to phone regardless of the position of the power switch. This happens spontaneously mostly and almost always when disconnecting the charger. If I am using my SoundSports to listen to my phone, often times the QC35 will connect and take over. The only way I can keep that from happening is to keep the QC35 plugged in to charge as that is the  only way to keep it from turning on and trying to connect to my phone.

What environment do you experience the issue in?

All environments

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

A long time ago

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I tried doing a reset on the device by powering it off, waiting, connection a wall charger, waiting, disconnecting the charger, waiting, then powering up the device. That didn't work as every time I disconnect the charger, the headset would turn on even when the switch is in the off position. I also tried unpairing and repairing to the phone without any success.

saturn_ascendant
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2021

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

I called and was not given the option of having my defective item replaced.  Very upsetting. I just identified the problem recently, but in hindsight, this has been happening since I bought them. Very disappointing.

MarSim
Participant
Registered since

Jan 17, 2021

I have QC 35-I 

After roughly 2½ year they started to have the bug with crackling/static sound in one of the sides, it went away in some weeks then came back.

I contacted Bose (here in Denmark) and had a rather long mail conversation with some pleasant people. But as the were out of warranty they couldn't replace them 😞

I continued to use them but now they have this bug!

Despite the nice people I will think twice before I'll ever buy an expensive product from Bose ever again. 

Arctic20
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2021

My QC 35's also started exhibiting this behaviour last year and it was starting to interrupt meetings and my work. Ended up leaving them to drain themselves of power as they had pretty much rendered themselves useless with this issue.

The headphones were always handled carefully and not subjected to excessive use or wear.

I called up Bose UK and after asking for a supervisor I was offered a "one time exception" to replace them with QC 35 II. However, they first tried to offer me a replacement pair for £209. Which currently you can purchase a new pair (of QC 35 II) from John Lewis for £199.

Although I am pleased that Bose has decided to replace my pair of headphones, I am extremely disappointed in how this has been handled and how other people have been treated unfairly. This issue should be acknowledged by Bose and a recall, replacement or repair program should be initiated.

I will definitely be thinking twice about buying Bose in the future due to this.

If you have this issue, I highly recommend you call up Bose until they offer you a full replacement for free. You should be treated like others and myself have been treated with this issue. Make sure to reference this thread, how it has impacted your work or use of the headphones and that they should be treating their customers fairly. Escalate to a supervisor if your customer support agent is unable to do anything as they certainly can with this ON/OFF power issue.

Make sure you have updated the headphones and performed a reset and let the agent know you have carried out these steps beforehand if you still experience the issue.

My original headphones were purchased in 2016, so Bose is well aware of how widespread this issue is.

Hope this helps someone.

Arctic20
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2021

@saturn_ascendant did you try escalating to a supervisor? That worked for me.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Guys and gals - a reminder.  This is a KNOWN hardware problem that has been around for over two years.  The contacts in the on/off switch are slipping.  There is no workaround.  It is not a software/firmware problem.  Bose said so here in 2019.

There are only two options: (a) fix it yourself with the instructions and pictures either here or elsewhere or (b) call Bose and ask for an exchange.  They will not offer a free exchange if the QC35 is over a year old - you will need to keep calling back and/or escalating until as you see above someone offers you an exchange 'this one time'.

Joseph2021
Participant
Registered since

Jan 25, 2021

Re: REPLACEMENT ON OFF SWITCH FOR QC35

I have the same issue. My headphones are switching on automatically in the box when turned off and automatically connects to all reachable devices nearby. I missed several phone calls because of that already... So I contacted local representation here in Czech republic and answer is that it is an irreparable issue and there is nothing what we can do about it - "unofficially" they told me there are services which can repair it but with no guarantee. And do you know what upsets me? That when I fill in the repair request on here on official bose site with serial number of my headphones, stating that I have this issue, it automatically OFFERS ME BRAND NEW QC35II in exchange. The only catch is that in the next step I must fill in the address in the territory of the United States... Quite a disturbing finding... And no way how to contact someone, except a hotline (not reachable from other countries)... 

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: REPLACEMENT ON OFF SWITCH FOR QC35

@Joseph2021(I do not work for Bose)

Again, you can look further back in this thread for instructions and pictures to fix it yourself.  If you do not fell comfortable doing it, perhaps you know someone more technical who can do it for you.  Otherwise, your only other option would be to constantly negotiate by phone (not email or form) with a Bose phone person until you get someone will to exchange at no cost, 'this one time'.  As far as I know, you only have these two options (unless you agree to pay of course).