joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC35 Won't Turn Off

@tails007 

>Thanks very much. The switch feels physically fine.. what should I do?

You only have two options - fix it yourself or call Bose for an exchange and keep calling and escalating until you get someone to provide you a free exchange, 'this one time'.

jdubber
Participant
Registered since

Feb 15, 2021

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Hi. How did you remove the metal plate? I tried using a needle and a small screwdriver, and it won't come off..

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@jdubber(I do not work for Bose)

I have not done it myself, but there are instructions with pictures much earlier in this thread and on many 'obvious' sites elsewhere on the internet (which you can find with a simple search)

JohnPaul-
Participant
Registered since

Mar 2, 2021

Every time I use my headphones for a few minutes, they turn off and on. I can hear the noise cancellation cut out, and then hear it come back on. Then the voice states the battery percentage. I have tried every single possible fix online that I could come across and the problem still persists. I tried cleaning the switch with air and rubbing alcohol, bending the switch pins to allow a stronger connection, updating firmware and app, resetting Bluetooth cache, resetting headset, killing battery completely, but nothing has fixed it. Sadly my warranty is up, so I can't just get a new set. I don't know what else I can do, so this is my last resort. The community. 

RichardA
Participant
Registered since

Mar 3, 2021

Hi, 

I have a set of Bose Qc35 and in the last week or so, they are refusing to turn off, even when the slider is in the off position. It is strange as they turn off for about 10-15 minutes then they turn back on all on their own. I have reset the headphones as part of the troubleshooting guide but it didn’t have any effect, I didn’t even need to sync it back up to my phone. I had a timer to make sure that I did the steps for the correct amount of time. Any help would be appreciated as I use these for all my Zoom calls at the moment. 

Bose product name: BoseQC35

Firmware Version: 3.0.3

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@RichardA(I do not work for Bose)

Sadly you are likely experiencing a known hardware issue caused by the slipping contacts in the on/off switch.  It has been known for over 2 years.  There is no workaround.  You have two options: fix it yourself with instructions earlier in this thread or elsewhere online or get an exchange from Bose.  If you are out of warranty, they will offer one at a rather high price.  If you are willing to be persistent and keep call and possibly escalating, other users report here they have eventually reached a representative who provide a no cost exchange, 'this one time'.

Ilidan85
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2021

Yup I can confirm this method works. My QC35II had a massive wearage for about 2 years and I have never travelled with them on the case. In my opinion the on/off button issue happens due to wearage of the switch and not by any pressure they take by standing in their case.

Its not that difficult opening the metal piece that holds the switch with a knife, but you need to be VERY CAREFUL to not lose the tiny tricky spring inside it.

Let's see how much time this "repair" lasts 🙂

THANKS.

Bosebone
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Hello, I'm checking back in after a year since I last fixed this, and I just had to do it again. For the person who asked how to remove the metal plate, I used a razor blade to pry it off because you need something really thin. Of course do it carefully so you don't cut yourself.  Try inserting the blade along the horizontal surface near one of the ends and pry gently. It is really a trial and error situation. As mentioned in the post above mine,  BE MINDFUL there is a very small spring on one end of the black switch so when you get it open the spring may pop out. When you lift the plate try to also press down on the black switch so it doesn't pop out due to the pressure from the spring.  Another tip: use tissue to plug openings when you remove the screws and the plate. The screws/spring could fall into an opening and I think there may be a magnet that will draw them in. This fix does work, and as I said, it has been more than a year since I had to do this again. Bose did replace my first QC35 due to this issue, but they were not accommodating when the same thing happened to the replacement.