allanenoc@yahoo.com
Participant
Registered since

Nov 15, 2018

Re: QC35 Headphones Turning Itself On?

Hi, i had a similar problem when my QC35 keeps switching itself on even when the toggle is at the off position, and drains the battery by morning. What i did I contacted customer support and told them what the problem was. I was quite surprised when customer support said they will replace my QC35 1 with a brand new QC35 II FREE OF CHARGE as it is still under 3 years warranty not 1 year.
My advise is contact customer support and hopefully they will offer u the same as what i had as these headphones are covered with a 3 year warranty. (product was purchased in the UK).
Hope this helps.
Thump
Participant
Registered since

Nov 16, 2018

Re: QC35 Won't Turn Off

I was having this problem and about 6 months out of warranty. So I popped the ear pad off, carefully removed one side of the speaker cover with adhesive tape. Then removed the 3 screws. Remove the outside cover over the switch. Carefully lift the finger switch button off the switch post. Apply a few drops of electrical contact cleaner to the switch. Work the switch back and forth. Apply a few more drops. Work the switch back and forth. This completely fixed my problem. I hope you can fix yours this easily also.
db0x0
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 29, 2018

Unfortunately had to throw mine away last week after struggling with this issue for a long time.

Was in security line at the airport and the security person noticed they were turned on in the x-ray bin. I was asked to turn them off but told them the switch wouldn't work and they just turned back on. I was told that unless an electronics device could be turned off or put into 'airplane mode' it couldn't be brought through security. 

Was already running late for the flight, so off they went into the security trash bin  😞

Good news is I'm looking forward to the new Sony's  🙂

danslamusik
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Re: Headphones power on automatically

Same here experiencing with the issue. I sent it to my local customer service centre and they sent it for repair. They returned it saying that it is beyond repair because it’s an issue with the board inside. They offered me a new QC35-I at 25% off.

I’ve only used it indoors and have never dropped it since I bought it. I am really not pleased with this as it is supposed to be a high end product.

I’ve read somewhere on here, someone managed to get a replacement for free when it’s out of warranty (and for QC35-II) but I’m not sure how that works. Their return policy seems inconsistent!
Basjo21
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 21, 2018

Sort you are one of the many that we’re sold defective headphones. I know some have hoped it will be fixed with a firmware update, but I don’t hold much hope for that. If anything I think there customer service has been consistently bad if anything. A few people here and there have managed a replacement, but most have tried every way possible to get a fix and only been offered somewhere between 15%-50% a new pair. I truly believe it’s imply a faulty switch that they refuse to acknowledge. Eventually all of us will move on to other headphones and the issue will go away for them. For me, I sold them rest of my Bose stuff and will never have another Bose product in my house. Hoping the pair of Sony headphones I have my eye on will be on a good Black Friday sale this week.

Funny enough I got my headphones to turn off the other day and they have been off for 3 days. Scared to turn them back on as I know they probably won’t turn off again.
HooBrew
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

QC 35 turns on by itself and connects to phone/computer even though the switch is off

I see others have had this same issue but mine is still unresolved. My QC35's (first gen) will be sitting in their case in my desk, power switch off, and spontaneously turn on and connect to my phone or computer. This naturally leads to them being dead the next time I go to use them. Most threads online say to talk to support and they'll take care of it. I called support and here's the extent of the troubleshooting I've done: 

• Updated the firmware through Bose Connect app.
  • Turned the headphones off, waited 30 seconds, plugged them in for 5 seconds then unplugged them. The switch was off but as soon as I unplugged them they turned on and connected to my phone so we couldn't finish the reboot process.
  • Downloaded LightBlue and found that the headphones were advertising for Bluetooth between -51 and -41, 1 service even though they were turned off and the LEDs were off. 
  • Made sure in the Bose connect app the auto-standy was set to "Never".
  • Disconnected my phone/computer and reconnected them to the headphones.

None of that worked, so support told me they can't fix the headphones and I'd have to replace them but they could give $100 off. I now have 4 Bose products (SIE2s which still work after 6 years of heavy use, Revolve+, QC35's, soundsport pulse) after buying the SS pulse last week, and compulsively take good care of my electronics. It's a little hard to stomach dropping another $250 on headphones for what sounds like a defective switch after just two years of light use and good care.

Has anyone found a way to fix them? 

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Sad you had to throw it out.  I had the same problem of it turning itself on and as you know, Bose says the problem is a firmware 'issue' around BLE (Bluetooth Low Emission).  So we won't know for sure if this is indeed the issue until the next firmware update whenever that is (I don't work for Bose and have no clue when that will be).

In the meantime, I have shared here that I have plugged one end of the USB charging cord into the QC35 when I am not using it and have now gone two weeks and it has not turned itself on even once.  Not sure if this works for anyone else but it works for me and is worth giving a shot.  It doesn't 'exonerate' Bose but at least its a 'workaround' until they can either get a firmware update or we can otherwise determine the source of the problem if turns out not to be BLE related.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35 turns on by itself and connects to phone/computer even though the switch is off

A quite contentious issue/problem here.  There are two camps - those who believe/are told its a hardware problem requiring replacement or upgrading for a cost.  And those who are told the problem is firmware involving an implementation of Bluetooth Low Emission (BLE) which needs to be removed or otherwise reimplemented in a future release of the firmware.  I am currently in the later camp.  I believe a QC35 will because of BLE turn itself on when it is within proximity of any bluetooth entity - paired or not - yours or someone else's (like someone else's phone).  There is no reasonable workaround currently in terms of setting.  About the only thing I did was initially kept the QC-35 charging when not in use.  Then I noticed that at least for my QC-35 if the charging chord was plugged in even if the USB end was not, it seemed to help.  It has now gone two weeks (knock wood 🙂 ) without turning on.  Clumsy, but I'll do it until we get to the bottom of this issue.

There are really are only two outcomes and we need imho to wait for Bose to put out an updated BLE implementation (or removal) in the firmware before we know for sure.  If they update the firmware and claim it fixes the problem then if it does - we are done.  If it does not, then we have to look elsewhere such as a hardware problem like a faulty switch.  But claiming it to be hardware at this point in my opinion is premature as long as Bose claims its a BLE issue that they will fix in firmware.  Unfortunately, we have no idea how long it will be until the next firmware update and so for me at least, I'll live with a QC-35 having a charging chord hanging out of it when not in use.

By the way, that turning on issue is independent from another turning on issue which I do not believe is BLE related (I hope 🙂 ) involving bluetooth speakers like my two REVOLVE's which will turn on any time I turn on a computer (like a laptop) that they are paired to.

QC351User
Participant
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

I tried firmware update to fix the power switch issue but still did not work. Contacted Bose centre and they offered a new pair with discount price. Why would anyone buy a new pair if the old pair didn't work properly? I owned Bose QC25 and never had any problems with it. Disappointed with QC35 and won't touch Bose products again.

HooBrew
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Re: QC 35 turns on by itself and connects to phone/computer even though the switch is off

Thanks for responding! I'm going to try the charging cord trick and see if that helps.

I guess the camp I'm in will depend on a technical detail of the power switch design. If it's supposed to be a physical disconnect in a circuit then I'd be inclined to believe it's a faulty switch since it clearly hasn't disconnected anything. If it is not supposed to be a physical disconnect and instead just changes which circuit is in use, then I think I would agree it's firmware related. If it is firmware related, though, I have no idea why it would have started happening out of the blue. I had never updated software or firmware until I started seeing the issue so there would have been no changes to the headphones. I didn't notice it until I pulled them out of my drawer to use them after a month or two of sitting in the case and they were dead. Upon charging them I noticed the issue.

Thanks again for the help, hopefully we'll find the answer soon.