Highlighted
zquadri
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 25, 2018

Static Noise and Cannot Connect to MacBook Pro

Hi, I recently purchased the Bose QC35 II not too long ago. I loved using it in the beginning when I first got the product. However lately, i've been running into several issues. Keep in mind these headphones are not even two months old, and have been kept in absolute perfect condition. I mean not so much as a scratch is on them.

Namely:

1) Static Noise in right ear when I have noise cancellation on. The static decreases a bit when I switch noise cancellation to low, and there is no static nosie at all when I turn noise cancellation off. This is a big bummer, since one the main reasons I purchased these were in fact for the noise cancellation. I can no longer use the noise cancellation on these because the static makes it legitimately unbearable.

2) I cannot connect my macbook pro anymore. When I was trying to see what was going on with my headphones I removed the headphones from the bluetooth. To my surprise I have since not been able to get them to connect ever again. I have gone through the forums and tried all possible solutiuons. Even tried the solutions posted in the Apple forums. The headphones connect just fine to my cellphone, a galaxy s8..no problems there.

3) I thought maybe i'll try to update the firmware on them and that would maybe help with the connection issue. Now I cannot even update them. I go to the Bose Device Updater and on the page it says

"Connect your Bose® product to your computer using a micro USB cable."

I do exactly that and connect my headphones to my computer through a usb cable but nothing happens. It doesn't seem to recognize that i've connected them. I have tried multiple USB ports, they are 100% working. I have also used several microUSB cables so they are not the issue either. Honestly have to say i'm quite disappointed with all this.. i barely even use them anymore because of all  the issues.. any suggestions?

21 REPLIES 21
Bernie1953
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 12, 2017

Re: Static Noise and Cannot Connect to MacBook Pro

I'm having a similar problem with my QC 35's they were purchased about May 2017, so not so old & rarely used , however! within the last day or so, there has been terribel static & disrupted sound when connecting to my iMac, 

They will not connect to my iPhone 8, they will connect to my macbook pro, but no sound comes out of the headphones, they will play perfect using the cable, however I cannot adjust the volume on the headphone itself! I have to go iPod control, seems to be a bluetooth problem? 

any advice please? maybe have to return to Bose? 

Hello zquadri! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that's happening, but am glad to help! You may hear a low level hissing or static noise if you are using your headphones in a quiet environment. This is the noise floor of the active electronics and is normal operation. It should not be loud and should not be audible when listening to music. If this is the case there may be something else going on.

To refresh your Bluetooth connection first slide and hold the power switch to the right for ten seconds or until you hear the voice prompt say "Bluetooth device list cleared". Then remove them from your MacBooks Bluetooth device list. Pair and test for function.

It is strange that the online updater does not recognize your headphones. If you download the Bose Connect app to your mobile phone, does it show an update available? It may take longer to update but it should work. 

Let us know! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

frojas
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

Hello, 

Just got my headphones less than 2 weeks ago and having exactly the same issue. Went though troubleshooting and resetting the connected device list and still is giving me the same problem when connected to my MacBook Pro. 

Please help! 

Hi frojas,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear about that. Could I ask, is the issue only on your Macbook? Does the headset work fine when paired with other devices?

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

frojas
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

Hey Tony, 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

The problem only occurs when I connect to my Macbook Pro. 

It's a static noise and muffled sound when music is on. 

Please help me out as I bought these headphones for work. I have reset them multiple times and followed all the troubleshooting instructions that you have available. 

Thank you! 

Fernanda

Hey Fernanda, 

Thanks for the update, that is very helpful. We also appreciate all the troubleshooting you've already done yourself. 

Can you verify that you're using the latest version of the Bluetooth drivers that came with your MacBook? 

Have you tested multiple music applications or does it happen with only one?

Can try plugging into the MacBook with the headphone accessory cable?

Let us know your findings when you get the chance. 

Thanks again, 

Mohsin 

frojas
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

Hello, 

Yes I have the latest version of Bluetooth drivers in my Macbook. 

I have tested a couple of music applications and same thing is happening. 

Problem goes away when I plug the headphones in with the accessory cable.

Hello Fernanda,

Thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear that you are still having trouble. Just for troubleshooting purposes, do you have the same experience connecting to devices other than the MacBook Pro? If we can determine that the headphones work properly with other devices then it is likely that there is something going on with the MacBook Pro and we should be looking there. It might be worth checking with Apple to see if they are able to offer any suggestions. 

Let us know what you find! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

rcgonzalezf
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 30, 2019

I do have the same issue with the Bose QC 35 and my mac book pro, my firmware is 2.5.5 it says date of manufacturing Apr 1, 2017 and I can hear a lot of noise, I noticed that noise increases when I open the sound preferences, I don't know if that information is helpful or not, but it's really annoying because it also affects the mic.