pulakeshlohiya
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2020

Streaming Apple Music Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless on the NC 700 Headphones

What is the best way for streaming Apple Music Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless on the NC 700 Headphones. What is the maximum bitrate that BlueTooth supports on these headphones and will an external DAC help to hear higher bitrates via the provided audio cable? By default, I think that there is already an improvement in sound quality because of the increase in bitrate from 256 Kbps to at least 320 Kbps.

Also, I heard a few Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio supported songs on my headphones and it felt a bit better. Is it because of the gyroscope in these headphones and/or is it because of the existing Bose AR hardware in them?

Also just to reconfirm, is the Bose AR feature is discontinued?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jessie_O

Re: Streaming Apple Music Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless on the NC 700 Headphones

Author Accepted Answer selected by pulakeshlohiya

Hey Pulakeshlohiya, 

Thank you for your post and your interest in lossless audio streaming. 

Just to make you aware, higher bitrates in audio do not necessarily equate to a better audio quality. What is happening with the bitrate is the headphones are receiving a larger amount of audio information. This doesn't always make a difference to the sound and depends heavily on the headphones and source device and what they are able to reproduce. 

The NC700 headphones support both SBC and AAC and the bitrates for these are up to 320kbps and up to 250kbps, respectively. Even with the lower transfer rate, AAC is ofter considered to be the less 'lossy' codex. I really encourage you to swap between the two and decide which sounds the best to you. 

Regarding the cable, the quality of the audio will depend on the devices' DAC. If you find that using an external DAC improves the sound for you, then you can give this a go. It shouldn't do any damage to the headphones. When you search for a DAC, remember that statistics can be misleading. I encourage you to trust your ear and if something sounds great to you, brillant!

Dolby Atmos is a tricky one. As the headphones only support a stereo output, the sound device will be converting the signal into two channels, right and left. This isn't something that is processed by the headphones (beyond the amount of audio information you can hear due to the higher quality audio) and rather the source device. Any changes you are noticing are related to the device, not the headphones. 

The Bose AR feature has been discontiued. 

If you have any further questions, please reach out to us again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jessie_O

Author Accepted Answer selected by pulakeshlohiya

Hey Pulakeshlohiya, 

Thank you for your post and your interest in lossless audio streaming. 

Just to make you aware, higher bitrates in audio do not necessarily equate to a better audio quality. What is happening with the bitrate is the headphones are receiving a larger amount of audio information. This doesn't always make a difference to the sound and depends heavily on the headphones and source device and what they are able to reproduce. 

The NC700 headphones support both SBC and AAC and the bitrates for these are up to 320kbps and up to 250kbps, respectively. Even with the lower transfer rate, AAC is ofter considered to be the less 'lossy' codex. I really encourage you to swap between the two and decide which sounds the best to you. 

Regarding the cable, the quality of the audio will depend on the devices' DAC. If you find that using an external DAC improves the sound for you, then you can give this a go. It shouldn't do any damage to the headphones. When you search for a DAC, remember that statistics can be misleading. I encourage you to trust your ear and if something sounds great to you, brillant!

Dolby Atmos is a tricky one. As the headphones only support a stereo output, the sound device will be converting the signal into two channels, right and left. This isn't something that is processed by the headphones (beyond the amount of audio information you can hear due to the higher quality audio) and rather the source device. Any changes you are noticing are related to the device, not the headphones. 

The Bose AR feature has been discontiued. 

If you have any further questions, please reach out to us again! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

pulakeshlohiya
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2020

Hey @Jessie_O 

@Thanks for your reply. Basically, a DAC shouldn’t really make a big difference when hearing on the NC700 as it doesn’t support higher than 320Kbps bitrates regardless of whether I’m using a wireless/wired connection, right?

Marvin_B

Hi pulakeshlohiya.

Yes you are correct on that. You can test it and and find out if it is better.

Thanks.