Isro
Participant
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

Turn off bluetooth on QC 35 ii?

Hi, 

I want to use the noise cancelling feature on my Bose QC 35 ii headphones WITHOUT connecting them to any device. Just noise cancelling without music, e.g. on an airplane, noisy office, bus etc. How do I turn off the bluetooth feature? 

I do not want to completely disable audio prompts, since I still want battery information, and I most certainly do not want to sit with a dangling cord hanging out of the headphones. I don't want to spend ages deleting an existing pairing and then having re-pair every time I want to alternate between using only noise cancelling (turning bluetooth off) and listening to audio either. Most answers online to similar questions seem to recommend one of these options, but I refuse to believe that there is no way on these top of the line headphones to simply turn off bluetooth when I don't need it. What am I missing? 

11 REPLIES 11
Jeff_G

Re: Turn off bluetooth on QC 35 ii?

Hello Isro, 

Thank you for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

You can only disable Bluetooth by inserting the audio cable into the headphones. There is no alternative way to disable Bluetooth while having the QC35 II headphones switched on. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Lowfrequel
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 19, 2020

To chime in: is it sufficient to just plug in a plug to switch off bluetooth, or does it need to be attached to a device?

Sam_F

Hey @Lowfrequel,

The main requirement is that you plug the included audio cable into your headphones (the other end doesn't need to be connected to a device) and keep the headphones on if you're looking to use the headset without Bluetooth, but still experience ANC. You can still use the headphones whilst they are powered off, but you'll need to use the provided audio cable for a wired connection.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding this!

*updated post

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@IsroSeems you are not missing anything - Bose says you can not disable bluetooth once you power on the QC35 to use the ANC.

So don't give up just yet - though you may have to.... 🙂

First I would ask, what is the QC35ii paired with.  If it is a single smart device like a phone, for example, just temporarily turn off the Bluetooth on the phone temporarily.  This would not be a good idea if it was paired to many devices that were within range.

And then we could try to get very 'techie'.  Want to look at Bluetooth Jammers? Google it.  Most of them a pricey, or pouches, or designed for phones, not headphones.  It's a long shot... but it will make for some fun reading at least and perhaps give you ideas of things you can try.  For example, I do not

think aluminum foil wrapping would work but maybe it would?

P.S. - what about getting a QC25.  It has ANC, you don't need to use the cable, and it has no bluetooth. I just saw new ones on ebay for $180.

Lowfrequel
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 19, 2020

Sam_F, I won't be buying the Bose headphones until it has an option to turn off bluetooth, so I was wondering if there will be an update soon which will make this possible, do you know anything about that?

Lowfrequel
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 19, 2020

NB By now I understand, thanks to a post here on the board, it suffices to just plug in the cable (or just the plug) to switch off bluetooth. Would have been nice of you would have told me that right away. Or does that just work with the previous version, the QC 35? I hope not...

Derr.C
Participant
Registered since

Aug 3, 2020

Can the ANC feature of the QC 35 II be used with Bluetooth turned off?

Sorry, there have been many threads on this topic, but I could not find a definitive answer.

The closest I got was that if you insert the audio cable into the headphones, then ANC will work while Bluetooth is off - except a Moderator in the following thread seems to suggest otherwise: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Turn-off-bluetooth-on-QC-35-ii/m-p/236689#M47...

Could support or a forum member please confirm once and for all? And if the trick above does work, does the other end of the audio cable need to be connected to a device or can it just dangle?

Thanks!

Derr.C
Participant
Registered since

Aug 3, 2020

Bump, to know if anyone has any information. Thanks again.

Charlotte_G

Re: QC 35 II - Can the ANC Feature Be Used With Bluetooth Turned Off?

Hey @Derr.C, thanks for joining the conversation!

Using the audio cable is the only way to disable Bluetooth without turning the headphones off. You do not need to connect the audio cable to a device in order to disable the Bluetooth.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, do let us know.