Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

Here is the transcript of a convo I had with a Bose rep on Friday.  I notated where I removed dialogue that wasn't pertinent to the topic at hand.

[Moderated]

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Notice how the rep didn’t acknowledge this being a known problem at first? And then when you finally mentioned the statement Bose said about releasing firmware to change the time to one hour, there was no denial nor acknowledgment of a problem still. But rather changing tone to say they can’t predict when the the firmware update will happen? If he really knew about the pending firmware update, surely he would have mentioned this from the beginning. There is clearly a complete failure in internal communication on this issue with Bose employees. I really don’t understand why they keep justifying this ‘feature’ with this heartbeat sensitivity crap. People just want to wear these headphones and sleep on a train or plane or at home or anywhere but can’t without an annoying noise and shutoff. This does not happen with the QC-35 and all other headphones out there.  Bose, please fix this!!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 11, 2019

I'm not clear what Bose considers motionless.  I was using the NC 700 headset today at the same time I was using my iPad.  I was moving my arms and hands and the headset shut off. 

I also find it interesting that Bose discontinued the Sleepbuds citing various problems including "powering down unexpectedly".

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/bose_headphones_support/bose_in_ear_headphones_support/n...

I wish Bose would release the firmware and correct the problem or simply extend their return policy.  

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

That’s just sad! Since Mr. Bose has passed it seems that this company he left behind for those to take care of it are failing in so many ways. I hope they turn it around! 🙏🏻

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

Wow this is getting frustrating. I am wishing I returned them as soon as I noticed the problem,  but I figured I was doing something wrong since who would implement "a feature" that works like that, but too late now since its past the window. 

I emailed Tech support earlier this week and here is what I got

>>From Bose>>

I understand that you're having a difficulty with its auto-off feature. This is a default characteristic of this model. Deactivating this feature is something that we will surely work on in our future researches.

<<<<

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 4, 2019

Ok we established the auto turnoff feature will not be fixed soon

can anyone in community recommend a pair of headsets equal or better then the 700s which are pretty great other than this feature?  Who is providing a better experience.

john

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

Yes! Sennheiser is coming out any day with their Sennheiser PXC 550-II’s. See their website https://en-us.sennheiser.com/pxc-550-ii. They are the best of both worlds of Sony and Bose from what I can read and they do not have an motionless mode as I called their tech support. They are supposed to be released in Oct and they said they have not seen any delay but they do not have a specific date. I would imagine since the newly released iOS 13 for Apple they are just making sure they work right when they release them. You will be able to connect to 2 devices as does the Bose and from their decibel level they may go louder when listening to devices as personally I thought the Bose wasn’t loud enough. But I too just wanted to sleep in them on occasion. 

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

Here was the “standard” answer from my letter I received today. I wrote them back again and told them they need to fix the motion-less sensor issue! 

“Thank you for bringing this concern to us about the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. Don't worry, I'd be glad to provide help.

We are pleased to know about your feedback regarding the auto-off feature of our Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. Please be advised that this feature can be adjusted by accessing the settings on the Bose Music App. 

There are 2 timers in the headphones: Auto-off (user adjustable in the app), and Motionless Shutdown (using the sensor hardware in the headset). 

1. Auto-off defaults to “Never” (but can be configured via the app) and refer to the state of the headphones streaming music. 

2. Motionless Shutdown is programmed to override the Auto-off setting (after around 10 minutes of no motion) regardless of the state of the headphones, and is not configurable. The Motionless shutdown is intended to be extremely sensitive, so movement as little as a heartbeat should prevent it from shutting down.

To adjust the feature, you would need to install the Bose Connect app in order for you to access the settings. From there, you can click on the Auto-off to see further options. 

We made this workaround available to our customers who don't like the said feature. As much as possible, we wanted to provide them all the available resources that can help them enjoy the product without any problem. 

I hope this makes everything better for you. Take care and have a great day!

Thank you for reaching Bose Corporation.

Mikee

Product and Technical Support Team

-------------------------------------------------

Bose Corporation

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Can we believe anything Bose says? I just left Bose Chat and this is what he had to say about a firmware update for the Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature...

[Moderated by Moderator]
Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

For you that still own these headphones I hope he was telling the truth. I have worked in call centers and have heard many times people lie. I’ve even called people out on it. But for the sake of the people that still own these headphones I hope it’s true! Best of luck. I took mine back.