Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 28, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

Has anyone noticed the battery degradation after updating the firmware?

I've been using it for 2.5 months, charging twice a week, never going below 30-40%.

When I picked it up the battery indicator was never higher 19h 40mins, a week or two it went down to 19h 10mins, now it's 18h 50mins and doesn't go higher.

Is it normal?

IMG_6616.PNG

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

Very good point.

I have also notice a degradation in the last days and was wondering where that might come from, since it was the first time that I have charged them to 100% for a long time and was surprised that battery is now only at 19:20h as being the maximum, whereas before it was ~20:30h.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

Re: ***UPDATE October 24, 2019*** Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

@Anne_S I have left my NC 700 on the table for more than 1.5 hours many times and they have not turned off.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 26, 2019

Re: ***UPDATE October 24, 2019*** Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

There appears to be a misunderstanding ...

On the Bose Music app, there is a feature/setting to "auto-off" the headphones after 5 m, 20 m, 40 m, 1 h, 3 h, and never.  This still works.  But this is NOT what all the recent posts were about. 

The recent posts were about Bose also secretly adding an undocumented "auto-off" that shut down the headphones when there was no movement after only 10 mins.  Dumb ... because most users used the headphones for sleep/meditation/flights, where people regularly do not move over 10 mins.  The customers considered this a bug, and NOT a feature.  After Bose watched their sales plummet and people returned the faulty units (~4 months), Bose finally started listening to their customers and increased this undocumented "auto-off" to 1 hour.  The headphones now appear to be working for most of us.  Why Bose did not merge their undocumented "auto-off" bug with the documented "auto-off" feature is anyone's guess.  A beautiful engineering marvel, negatively impacted by an over-zealous software developer who forgot who the customer was. 

So the topic now has morphed to one of: did this bug/fix create any other issues.  There appears one where the upper limit of battery is no longer meeting the 20 hr mark, but now has dropped to 19 hrs.  This is not unexpected given that this is the first of this generation of new headphones.  And frankly, who listens for more than 19 hrs, and then can't schedule in a recharge.  But this drop is important when compared to Sony that brags a 30 hr battery.  I think the battery-war is a red herring, and Bose's superior fit/feel/quality/sound makes up for the battery issue.  For those who want to listen for 30 hrs, buy a Sony... otherwise recognize that the Bose 700 will never get there... this is probably not a firmware fix, but needing a different battery technology.

For Bose to take these feedback forms seriously, we need to focus our comments on real issues that Bose can do something about.  For instance, if the upper battery limit dropped to under 16 hours over the next few months, then we should complain, as this would be a design flaw.  But remember that rechargeable batteries degrade over time... Apple earpods cannot hold a charge after 2 years... I hope these headphones do better.

Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Actually it is not about if 19h is sufficient or not. For me, 19 hours are also totally ok, but that is not the point.

I just want to understand if this "degradation" is coming from the update, or if there is maybe another issue like fast degradation of the battery hardware itself.

In case the total time is just slightly reduced due to that update, fine. If it is reduced due to fast battery degradation, then there is an issue, because I don't want to be <10h in 1year. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 12, 2019

Good idea .why not make it adjustable by using the app to control time in 10 min increments.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

I'm already at 16 hours on a full recharge.  After the update, it was 19...then 18...then 17...and now 16.  That is with pretty heavy use...around 40 hours a week.  It is clearly degrading faster than one would expect.

I am starting to get a little concerned.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

So do I!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 11, 2019

I've experienced the same but I'm giving Bose hardware (the headphones or battery) the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think it's the battery, I think it's their algorithm.  The code/programming they use to calculate the number of hours of remaining charge is off and/or inconsistent.  My headphones will be charging all day and when I use it at night it will say I have 14, 16, 17, 19 hours left.  It just doesn't make sense.  

I had a luxury car that tried to calculate how many miles were left before it reached an empty gas tank.  As it got closer to empty the numbers changed exponentially and it made no sense.  Therefore, I would ask Bose to review and fix their code.  

Dear Bose, if you are reading this message, please fix your code and give us a new release of the firmware that gives us the ability to control all the "features" that we are asking for and fix your algorithms.  The prior version of the firmware did a better job of estimating the remaining time of the battery charge.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Great example, about the car. You are most likely correct that this is the issue. I guess one way to test would be for one of us to run a full battery all the way down, under full use, and time it.  I would, but I'm traveling at the moment.