Community Manager

Re: Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

Hello All,

Thank you for your continued participation in this dialogue. Based on the initial reactions we are seeing from some of you here, it is clear that our planned change will not fully resolve the issues you are having with this feature. We appreciate you taking the time to voice your expectations and concerns.

We will continue to explore options to improve the experience to better meet your needs and will report back as soon as possible.

Anne S

cesarv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Explore options?? Are you serious?? Just enable the NEVER option; you guys aren't dealing with children.

GorFex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@BrowPelu2 wrote:

Ok, ¿But how about the annoying conversation mode bug, where it pauses the audio and lets surrounding noise in, but only lasting for a couple seconds and the noise canceling comes back on? Please resolve this issue, please!!!

Yeah, I just encountered that today while in the Charlotte Airport.  Couldn't figure out why it kept happening.

I finally just started pushing the Noise Cancelling button (I only have two settings, 0 and 10).  So when noise cancelling goes on, I just hit the button during my call and it drops it back to 0 and I can hear all my surroundings.

Weird bug, but at least I found a workaround.  My three settings are 10, 0 and 0.  This toggles between 10 and 0 with each button push.

Itsonlymee
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

Smart idea for a work around. I just wonder if they really tested these on humans in everyday life before they released them? Just sad. 

roar714
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2017

Amazingly obtuse.  It is telling that the tech staff imagines it knows the magic interval for a user base with a full spectrum of preferences. This ‘solution’ is further evidence that Bose really does not get it.  If Amazon reviews and posts here are metrics, the NC700 is being revealed as a relative misfire compared to the QC line for the wide base customer. More a narrow market product geared, as many have observed, for the business user who likes to use phone.

Bose, if you’re going to mess with the functionality via firmware (which as you know always carries the risk of unintended collateral damage) make the freaking change at least auto-off or no auto-off, and preferably scalable across a longer time line ranging from a small interval to off to no auto-off.

When will they ever learn?

Itsonlymee
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

It’s more like will they hear us?

Itsonlymee
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

Just so everyone knows. Skull Candy (Crusher ANC), Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Sony’s h.ear on 3 WH-H910N and Phillips PH 805 are all releasing in Sept & Oct. I’m sure there will be more coming with other brands in Jan. For CES.

sgb0169
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 15, 2019

I just flew for the first time with the NC700s on a short flight yesterday. The headphones turned off multiple times after falling asleep. I thought I had accidentally hit the buttons and did not think much of it.  Last night I tried using them to go to sleep and they would shut off after the ten minutes with a loud noise to wake you up as they shut off so you could not even drift off in peace.  This led me to this forum at 3:30 a.m. and it seems to be quite an issue.  For me it is a bit of a deal breaker and now looking at the Bang and Olufsen or Sony headphones.  This is unfortunate as I have bought multiple pairs of the Bose noise cancelling headphones and always enjoyed them and could not imagine flying without them.  With more flights coming up over next few weeks, I do not think it makes sense to wait and see if Bose responds with an appropriate fix.  Has anyone had any success getting a refund for the product a little after the 45 day customer satisfaction period? They were fine using them in my office but for flying and sleeping they are pretty terrible. I hope they get this sorted because its a great product otherwise.

Itsonlymee
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

It is a big issue. Gratefully I discovered this feature within my first week of using these so I returned them. I would call them and make it a point as this feature was not in any reviews online or in the specs that I remember seeing. It’s a bummer as I loved these earphones as well. Best of luck! 

RedPill
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 1, 2019

Latest Bose udpated response:  "We will continue to explore options to improve the experience to better meet your needs and will report back as soon as possible."

The only option Bose needs to "explore" is making the timer user adjustable.  Period.  The 1 hour solution is a non-solution.  Did the team even listen to the forum posts?  The loud sound when the noise cancelling turns off that is commented upon numerous times as disturbingly waking people up, or disturbing the meditator - this needs to be a user setting as well. 

To all those complaining out there about the problem, and to the very poor "solution" from Bose to the problem, duplicate your comments as a review on Amazon and Best Buy.