Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr. Merlin
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

Using Bose NC 700 in wired mode with external usb DAC

I'm using my Bose NC 700 in wired mode with an external USB-C DAC plugged into my phone/computer. They sound better in wired mode than Bluetooth 5.0. These headphones really should support aptX HD so I don't have to use a wire but that's another conversation.

Here's my setup

My HiFi audio source (24bit/96kHz from Tidal) streams out of my phone/computer into my USB-C DAC which converts the digital signal to analogue.  The analogue signal runs up the included TRS cable to my Bose NC-700.  What happens next?

Here are my questions

Scenario #1 - Power Off

1. Do the headphones "pass-through" the analogue signal directly to the drivers?  I'm assuming they do because the headphones work when the power is off.

2. Does the NC 700 filter or otherwise process the analogue signal?

Scenario #2 - Power On, Noise Cancelling On

3. Does the NC 700 process the incoming analogue signal with its onboard DAC? In other words, does the analog signal get converted back to digital so it can be integrated with active noise cancellation?

4. Do the headphones filter or otherwise process the analogue signal?

5. Does the NC 700 amplify the analogue signal with onboard power source? I'm guessing yes on this one.

It would be nice to know if the DAC has any impact on the sound quality, or if the onboard DAC is re-processing the signal?  No need to buy an expensive external DAC if the onboard DAC is interfering.  

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Harrisdaw
Participant
Registered since

Jul 22, 2021

Re: Using Bose NC 700 in wired mode with external usb DAC

I have the same question and there’s no way to communicate with someone at Bose able to provide a proper answer. I hope some of the online experts can give us a response.

RLH
Participant
Registered since

Jul 25, 2021

Re: Using Bose NC 700 in wired mode with external usb DAC

Is there a cable combination that would connect my iPhone lighting port to the Boze Noise Cancelling Headphone 700 USB port to enable me to send Apple Lossless into the headphones?