Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

Using Noise Cancelling 700 Headphones for Gaming on Xbox One X

I just wanted to let folks know how I got my Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 to work with both sound and microphone with my Xbox One X.

In order to do this, you'll need a wired connection to your Xbox controller.  I use an Xbox Elite controller but the normal controller should work the same.

I used the cable for the QC25 Android device to make this work.  (Please note that I don't believe the Apple version of this cable will work).  I got this one:

AmazonBasics Bose Quiet Comfort Replacement Inline Mic Remote Headphone Cable for Android Devices - ...

You plug that into your Bose 700 headset and then into your Xbox controller via an adapter.  Plugging in directly did not work for me. 

Here is the adapter that I have, but it is older and no longer for sale:

Afterglow LVL Headset Adapter

Here is a newer version that I assume would work the same (not sure if someone else can verify):

Headset Adapter for Xbox One Controller

One caveat, when I used the QC25 cable to plug into the Xbox One 3.5mm Afterglow adapter the Left and Right channels were reversed.  I just so happened to have an extra adapter cable that came with the Afterglow Xbox adapter that fixed this.  But I can confirm that I got both Audio and Mic to work with this set up. 

Just wanted to pass along these details because the 700s are new and I couldn't find any other info online yet about this.  

Hope this helps!

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Re: Using Noise Cancelling 700 Headphones for Gaming on Xbox One X

Hello PwnZoner,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community!

Thanks so much for sharing your set up and tips for using the Noise-Cancelling 700 headphones with Xbox One X; I hope this is helpful for the community.

Should you need anything please get in touch, have a great day!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

I was hoping to find a comment about this and it looks to be exactly what i'm looking to know.  That being said, I'm not very tech savvy, but isn't the connection on the 700 headphones for a smaller jack?  Will that linked Amazon product work?  Or am I just confused about the size of the product?  Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!  

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

Pedls, you are correct that the input for the Bose headset is smaller (2.5mm) than a standard headset jack (3.5mm). 

The cable I linked to is an adapter that bridges that difference.  It is 2.5mm on one end (fits into the Bose headphone jack) and 3.5mm on the other end (fits into standard headphone jacks). 

So it will work for exactly this case. Hope that clarifies!

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

This was really helpful. Thanks man!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks for trying this out and for the instructions.  Did you have to do anything special to get it to work? Do the headphones have to be powered on or off? ANC on or off? Thanks again!

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

WildBill02, 

Great questions.   Honestly, it was pretty straightforward and I didn't have to do anything special to get the 700s to work with my Xbox.  

ANC works normally when using with the line in option with the Xbox and adapers.  I can adjust to any level and it works just fine while playing.  I don't have to adjust it one way or the other to get sound/mic to work with the line-in option.  

Normally, I will power my Xbox on via the controller.  Then I will plug in the Xbox 3.5mm adapter with the headphones already connected.  Then I power on the Bose 700s and they power on in "line-in" mode and they annouce "bluetooth off".  

If I can't hear sound (which happens occasionally), I keep the Bose 700s on and plugged into the adapter.  I unplug the adapter from the controller and plug it back in. Sound and Mic then come on a few seconds later.  

I've had other gaming headphones that can take the line-in and still connect to another device for bluetooth.  It's unfortuately that you can't pair with bluetooth devices while in "line-in" mode but not a deal breaker for me.  

I also don't notice any audio lag or delay when using these.  Especially important when playing first person shooter games.  

Hope that answers your questions. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks for all of the great info, I know this thread is going to come in handy for any of the gamers who pick up these headphones.  

I just had one more question sorry.  Does the cord that came with your adapter have a mic on it? I'm just wondering if the cord that came with the 700s would work? I'm trying to get this work as best as I can and order as few cords as possible to try haha.  If it can be done, I'd like to find a cord that doesn't reverse the channels, I'm wondering if the official Bose cable for the QC25s/35s would work?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

WildBill02

All good, my friend!  The more info we pack into this thread the better for everyone else 🙂

The cord that comes with the 700s is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter but it does not have a mic on it.  It will work to pull in audio from your controller...just with no mic capabilities.  

The QC25/35 cable that I linked to above (and here) and the offical Bose version of the cable should work just fine. I don't think there is any material difference in how they are constructed.  But if someone else tries with the official cable, I'd love to hear if that makes any difference.   

IMO, the channel reversing that I experienced was most likely due to the older Xbox 3.5mm adapter that I have.  It was probably a known issue and hence came with the extra cable.  Again, this adapter was initially made for older Xbox controllers that didn't have the 3.5mm jack included.  

I hope that someone else can chime in on the channel reverse issue with a newer version of an Xbox 3.5mm/mic adapter.  My hope is that it is just tied to my older adapter and the newer ones don't reverse the channels.   

If you try a different setup, definitely update the thread.  Would love to hear what does (or doesn't) work for you!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

Well I can follow up and second that the headphones do indeed work with the Android/Samsung cable and chat headset adapter.  Plugging it in directly didn't work for me either.  

I went to the local Bose store, got the QC25 Samsung/Android cable and I got this headset adapter from Best Buy 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/turtle-beach-ear-force-headset-audio-controller-plus-for-xbox-one-black...

No issues with the channels or anything like that, everything worked as expected.  A few hiccups here or there but overall it worked really well.  The noise cancelling still works for the headphones and my friends said they could hear me fine.  

I wish that it would just plug in to the controller and work, my old Soundtouch II wired headphones used to. It's frustrating to have to shell out even more money to get the capability back.  At the very least, I'm glad it works and I can wear them while gaming/watching tv.