Using Wireless Bose 700 Over the Ear headphones in Wired Mode

Bose product name

Bose NC 700 HP

Country

USA

Firmware Version

Not sure how to get this, cannot access from app, but it should be up to date

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
IPhone 

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I purchased a lightening to Microphone adaptor (highly rated from source) and wanted to compare my Bose NC 700 HP Headphones wired and blue tooth.  However, there really is no guide or suggestions on how best to do this.  Do I power them On or Off (silly question, I know) or is there any preferred connection?

My experience is that using an iPhone 11 Pro Max with the wired headphones sounds TERRIBLE.  Bluetooth is better.  Using a MacBook Pro I can tell a slight difference between the wired and Bluetooth.

I ordered a popular and highly rated DAC converter for my iPad (USB-C) and hope that is better.

However the wired cable provided is WAY TOO SHORT.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quiet Bedroom

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Since the beginning

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Using Wireless Bose 700 Over the Ear headphones in Wired Mode

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

With the cable you can use them in passive mode (power off) however you obviously lose the noise cancelling.  What some people don't realise is you also lose the equaliser, so sound quality is worse.

Use them wired with the power on and you get equaliser and Noise cancelling.

I can't think of why your phone would sound worse than the Macbook, but the lightning to 3.5mm adapters are notoriously fickle (whether they were rated well or not).  I've seen ones that work differently on mulitple devices, some good, some not at all.  Even when trying on two of the same device I've had different results.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Using Wireless Bose 700 Over the Ear headphones in Wired Mode

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

With the cable you can use them in passive mode (power off) however you obviously lose the noise cancelling.  What some people don't realise is you also lose the equaliser, so sound quality is worse.

Use them wired with the power on and you get equaliser and Noise cancelling.

I can't think of why your phone would sound worse than the Macbook, but the lightning to 3.5mm adapters are notoriously fickle (whether they were rated well or not).  I've seen ones that work differently on mulitple devices, some good, some not at all.  Even when trying on two of the same device I've had different results.

View solution in original post