cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buffalo_Sabres
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2019

Re: What’s changed with QC35's new Firmware 3.0.3?

stop trolling... no one believes you

silop
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

@squarepixel wrote:

I just upgraded my QC35's to 3.0.3, and the noise cancelling is still great.

There are always these reports of diminished ANC every-time a firmware update is released. I believe this could be a psychological phenomenon. Human hearing and memory is subjective. We all remember the feeling of how amazing the ANC was when we put the headphones on for the first time. Now we are desensitized, so when a firmware updates is released we scrutinize closely, and notice characteristics for the first time that were always there.

What do you mean by “we”?

You should not talk on behalf of other people.

silop
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Moderators are deleting the links (change.org)

Drafto
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 10, 2019

@squarepixel wrote:

I just upgraded my QC35's to 3.0.3, and the noise cancelling is still great.

There are always these reports of diminished ANC every-time a firmware update is released. I believe this could be a psychological phenomenon. Human hearing and memory is subjective. We all remember the feeling of how amazing the ANC was when we put the headphones on for the first time. Now we are desensitized, so when a firmware updates is released we scrutinize closely, and notice characteristics for the first time that were always there.

Sure, thing is though, I have proof the ANC has changed through firmwares (2 headphones, different firmwares, completely different anc levels) There's also proffessional headphone reviews which have updated their ANC score as the firmware has reduced the quality.

So what you're saying is def not true.

Fred43
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

@Buffalo_Sabres wrote:

stop trolling... no one believes you

That is incorrect. I "believe" him, that is, I have the same opinion. Human perception depends on expectation, that is a fact. To some extend do we hear what we expect to hear. That is how the brain is operating, it is not a tool of measurement. Yeah, now post your rtings link.

Upgraded two devices, have no problems. Not saying that this is a proof everything is alright. But shouting "ANC is practically gone", creating online petitions, accusing Bose of reducing ANC purposely because of the 700 release, negative amazon reviews and the like is ridiculous. *This* is what I would call trolling, sorry.

There are people not affected. Maybe there are way more people not affected than affected. Maybe the affection is not monocausally connected to the firmware upgrade.

Mrhumbul
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2019

I am dissapointed by the actions of Bose. I've been recently forced to update my bose qc35 to 3.0.3 and now I hear all external noises. I live close to a train station and this noises where at a minimum or zero but now, I can confirm that it makes no difference anymore. This firmware has made my AU$500 product useless. Does this mean that bose lacks innovetion and reduces older products usefulness to convince day 1 customers to shell out AU$700 for a new products? Bose, I'm done with you guys and will switch to something better. Will aution this useless product now. 

Schi
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

I cannot believe a company like Bose would ignore its customers despite hundreds of people reporting this same exact issue. I feel straight up cheated because my perfectly working headset that I've used for almost 2 years now has been broken by this update, and I'm well outside the warranty/return period. While researching this issue, I came across a lawfirm that is in process of a class action investigation regarding the on-off switch not working properly (although I have never experienced that specific issue myself). I am going to contact them in regards to this update problem and share this thread, along with the QC35II thread and instrumented tests from Rtings. Not hoping for much, but I'm really bummed that my $300 pair of headphones is now garbage. 

https://chimicles.com/bose-quietcomfort-35-wireless-headphones-class-action-investigation/

oscarrdz
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

I personally tried a new pair of QC35’s on display at a department store and the difference between those and mine was notorious. I then updated those in the department store and ruined them. ANC on those was bad after the update. So this isn’t a matter of perception, ANC has problems after the update, that’s a fact reported by many users now. 

Fred43
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

@oscarrdz wrote:

I personally tried a new pair of QC35’s [...] So this isn’t a matter of perception,

That is kind of circular reasoning and a scientific fallacy: You used your perception to proof it isn't a matter of perception. Your conclusion therefore doesn't follow. It still can be a matter of perception.

By the way, this principle applies to me as well: I can't hear a difference after the upgrade, but do not solely see this as proof everything is okay. But there are other reasons to be factored in.

@oscarrdz wrote:

ANC has problems after the update, that’s a fact reported by many users now. 

This fallacy even has a name: "argumentum ad populum". Something must be true because many people believe it. Very often seen nowadays, a result of modern social media. Still it is not valid reasoning. Your conclusion "ANC has problems after the update" doesn't follow from the number of people believing that.

With social media, forums, reddit, twitter, facebook, ... we additionally have the problem of fake accounts (not accusing you!). You can artificially craft the impression of a mass opinion when in fact there isn't (astroturfing).

You have to do controlled blind tests (ABX test) to be able to make somewhat reliable statements based on perception. Better yet would be controlled, transparent and repeatable acoustic measurements. (Now comes rtings? I am prepared... ;.)

Mrhumbul
Participant
Registered since

Jul 9, 2019

@Fred43 

Seems like you have so much time to waste on the internet. If this issue doesnt affect you, kindly stfu and stop ranting rubbish. People experienced problems after update, came on the internet to seek help and figured they are experiencing a widespread problem, yet, your healthy mental state triggered you to start an arguement with them? Please go lecture somewhere else and let people freely express their concerns. Everyone purchased this product from their hard earned money!