didj
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Re: What’s changed with QC35's new Firmware 3.0.3?

This is probably not gonna fix everyone's problem as I saw some who just bought them and had issues. It might make it better though for some.

I updated to 3.0.3 and noticed a huge difference. Could hear everything and was super frustrating! I went to the Bose shop with the headphones and after they reinstalled the latest version to make sure there was no issue when I did, they pointed out that it could be because my ear pads were pretty ran out. Thought I'd give it a try so bought some from ebay for $10 and changed them. It has indeed improved a lot! To the point that it's not a huge issue anymore.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it was better before or it was just the ear pads. Wonder how I didn't notice the bad performance before the update though?! Anyway, thought I'd share. If your ear pads are looking a bit run out, it might be worth putting $10 into giving this a try. Let me know if it did the job for you.

Btw, these are the ones I bought if you live in AU (I have QC 35 I, not II - they work fine): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushions-for-Bose-QuietComfort-35-QC35-II-QC25-QC15...

zakarados
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 14, 2018

Installed the update a week ago, at first my ears were telling me there was more bass or better sound quality, but then I left the quiet office and noticed I could hear things around me, which was a bit off.

Then I googled what changed in this update, and bang... this forum appears.

The bass/SQ seems to be due to me having to listen louder to overcome the noise leaking in now.

I hope a fix comes soon, maybe XM4 coming next... 

asnedaigas
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 2, 2018

ANC much, MUCH worse after updating to 3.0.3 my model 1 qc35. What can I do? they're more than 2y now and I lost receipt. Would their customer services take them back? I need proper ANC for my noisy environment! 

sjcross961
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Upgraded mine too and having the same problem.  Voices in particular are massively obvious even with High ANC.  Let's have a fix BOSE, we know you did it.

Serj
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@zakarados wrote:

Installed the update a week ago, at first my ears were telling me there was more bass or better sound quality, but then I left the quiet office and noticed I could hear things around me, which was a bit off.

The bass/SQ seems to be due to me having to listen louder to overcome the noise leaking in now.

That's my case exactly: amplified mids and highs. Also, have you tried typing on your keyboard with the ANC set to HIGH after the update? It sounds like the clicks are right next to your eardrum, at least it does on my case, and the same goes for when I take out the home keys from my pocket, or when people are talking around me, even if they are 20meters away - I can hear them crystal clear. I would really love to go back to the base firmware 1.0.6. That was the firmware that made this product a King - now it's just another pair of cheap ANC headphones.

royial
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

@Serj wrote:

@zakarados wrote:

That's my case exactly: amplified mids and highs. Also, have you tried typing on your keyboard with the ANC set to HIGH after the update? It sounds like the clicks are right next to your eardrum, at least it does on my case, and the same goes for when I take out the home keys from my pocket, or when people are talking around me, even if they are 20meters away - I can hear them crystal clear. I would really love to go back to the base firmware 1.0.6. That was the firmware that made this product a King - now it's just another pair of cheap ANC headphones.

Can't agree more with you. The basic version 1.0.6 was the best one. Sadly I wasn't able to find the firmware files of 1.0.6. Otherwise I was able to downgrade it....

Lawts
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

So $1 ear plugs from the supermarket cut out  more noise than my $500 Bose headphones now. This is brilliant!

Serj
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@Lawts 

But are they continuously listening for you to say the magic words "Alexa" or "Hey Google"? Isn't this the reason you bought this headphones? It seems that Bose thinks this way.

Ray-J
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

I have same issue with my QC35i F/W 2.5.5. I can hear chatterings and others seems muffled only by the ear cups. 

Apparently I read in the internet the reason why. Is there really any hope for an improvement through some firmware updates?

Current active noise cancelling technology works best for frequencies below 500 Hz and is somewhat effective only up to about 1000 Hz.”

Pls read on...

https://noisyworld.org/noise-cancelling-headphones-voices/

CoolFrog
Participant
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Bose... Please fix the 3.0.3 fw noise cancelling problem 😞