joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: What’s changed with QC35's new Firmware 3.0.3?

artyyeo@icloud.com (I do not work for Bose)

Unfortunately this is a known hardware issue and there is no workaround.  First discovered back in 2018.  The  symptom is you turn the unit off but it comes back on by itself.  The problem is a hardware malfunction - the contacts in the on/off switch are slipping.

You only have two options:

1. There are instructions elsewhere here and in many other places online to show you with text and pictures and how to fix it yourself.  Can't say 100% but everyone who has shared they have tried this option have had success.

2. You can call Bose and ask for an exchange.  Unfortunately and officially your exchange is only free if it is under warranty (< 1 year).  Otherwise they will offer an exchange for a somewhat high price.  You can do the troubleshooting with them and then explain your unit is part of a much larger group of units with this known malfunction and ask for a free exchange.  They will probably say no and so you need to keep calling back and possibly escalating and call them back until you finally get someone who will say that they will do it 'this one time'.  People who have gone with this option have shared here that with patience and persistence, they finally found someone willing to do such an exchange.  No guarantees. I exchanged my unit in Dec., 2018.

hello99
Participant
Registered since

Nov 16, 2020

Recently I discovered Bose had an app the the app store, so I downloaded it and it offered to update the firmware for my headphones. I did so, but afterwards the noise cancelling capabilities were severely degraded.

I've had this pair of QC35's since 2016 and use it pretty much everyday for work. The difference in it's functionality after the update is highly noticeable. It feels as if the office has gotten much noisier and it makes it harder to concentrate.

I've searched around online but haven't been able to find a solution. Several people on Reddit have claimed that downgrading to firmware 1.05 solves a similar issue they've had. I don't think Bose is allowing the downgrade anymore. Has anyone else experienced this issue before? Any fixes you can share?

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

(I do not work for Bose)  This issue has surfaced here for about 2 years and in 2019 Bose did a study that culminated as I read it with a conclusion that there was nothing they did (in particular in firmware changes) that impacted active noise cancellation (anc).  And so it does not appear to me that anything else will be done by Bose.  As you already have discovered, updating the firmware is unidirectional.  Bose does not support going back.  I have read here that those who have had ANC issues with QC35ii's say that ANC seems to have improved with the latest firmware 4.8.1 - though that won't help you as a QC35i user.  As far as I can see, you either need to use it as is as you can not downgrade from Bose's perspective or as you said, look elsewhere.

vishkh
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2020

I received my Unit yesterday QC Series 1 and found no difference between low and high ANC.

I have done a soft reset on my headphones and now find it better than previous.

Soft Reset Process: Connect Headphones with Power cord.

Remove power cord after 5 seconds

Wait for 1 min and then power on the headphones

Go to app and check the difference

If it doesn't work

Downgrading Update: Go to https://btu.bose.com/

Connect your headphones with USB cord

It will identify your headphones and show you an option at bottom, if you                                               want to downgrade your headphones. 

Note: I have not tried downgrading update, as soft reset did a trick for me.

Henrik Melander
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2020

Accidentaly upgraded to 3.0.3 and now I hear my keyboard and mouseclicks. 

Well, its corona. Its the only reference I got 😄

Found this thread and was a bit shocked that the thread was 1.5 years old and bose havent done anything. Time to try to revert back the firmware. I wish I could go back to the original when the mic was the best. 

BoseQC1NoiseCancelingAfterupdate
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2020

Hi.

I have had my bose headphones for 2 years I've been actively using them to play cyberpunk and couldn't hear anything.  It was the first time I've used the headphones for ages as my new computer doesn't have speakers yet.  I downloaded the bose app - as I had trouble connecting to the PC and apparently you can make a new connection on the phone which turns the headphones in to pair mode.  I then completed firmware update to 3.0.3 - noticed the difference straight away after the update - that I literally did a search for issues after 3.0.3 and found this Forum.

I Was playing with previous firmware literally at the time - Was perfect noise cancelation

and then head the massive difference after firmware update.

This is disgusting that this has not been fixed