Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

When mic is enabled there is a very annoying crackling/errr sound in the background

I bought Bose 700 headphones a few months ago and throughout the entire time owning them every time I hop on a call caused a very annoying crackling/err sound in the background.  I used a different headset while quarantined at home and now that I am back at work it is driving me crazy and I think I am going to get rid of these Bose 700.  Please help... 😞  I really do like these headphones, but the sound is driving me crazy.

Here is the setup.  I have Bose 700 headphones.  I connect to my desktop (windows 10) through a USB wireless adapter.   Everything works fine when listening to music, but the second I use my headset to make a call or join a conference meet like Zoom it gets this very annoying static sound in the background that every now and then makes an errrrr sound ;/  If I connect to my phone it works and doesn't cause problems, but I really need to connect it to my computer.

I've tried resetting the headset, clearing the bluetooth connection list, etc.  I've updated the fireware...  All is still broken 😞 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: When mic is enabled there is a very annoying crackling/errr sound in the background

Hi Dowanx, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be having with the NC700 headphones, I will do all I can to assist you! 

Can you tell me which profile your headphones are connected via? This should show in the settings menu as headset, headphone, etc. 

Can you tell me if you experience the same issue with and without the noise-canceling activated?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Re: When mic is enabled there is a very annoying crackling/errr sound in the background

How do I check that on my computer (Windows 10)?  

The issue is the same with noise cancelling all the way up or all the way turned down.

Highlighted

@dowanx When the headphones are connected, if you click on the volume control on the bottom panel, you'll see an arrow that allows you to select the audio output. 

We look forward to hearing back from you.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Speakers (B25)

Microphone (B25)

@Charlotte_G 

Highlighted

Thank you for confirming this @dowanx.

If you go into the settings on Zoom and turn off the microphone or select the PC microphone. Do you experience the same issue?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

@Jessie_O   As soon as I turn on the mic for the Bose headphones it does it.  If i swap to a different mic then there is no problem.  

Highlighted

That is quite unusual, @dowanx.

Have you tried to use the headphones in any other video calling software, to see if the microphone issue persists? Does this problem solely occur when using the Zoom program? 

Also to confirm, is the USB wireless adapter used for the Bluetooth connection on your PC? Is this used because the Windows system does not have in-built Bluetooth capability?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

This happens regardless of what program I use.  Zoom, Teams, Google Meet, etc.  Basically if I turn on the mic the headphones start doing this.

The desktop doesn't have built in blue tooth so I use an USB blue tooth adapter.   Is there some specific bluetooth adapter I should use?  I had to try different blue tooth adapters and finally landed on one that worked, but for this issue.  

Highlighted

Hi dowanx, 

Thank you for continuing to try the troubleshooting we advise for you. 

Can you tell me if you experience the same issues when you use voice calling on a different device, like a phone?

I know you mentioned in your original post that you have updated the firmware, can you tell me which version you are running? We have recently released an update. 

I look forward to your response.