Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Why do my Bose NC 700s sound significantly better when plugged into my PS4 controller and turned on?

Hey everyone, 

So since I got my Bose 700 headphones I have thoroughly enjoyed them. When I use them over Bluetooth, I feel satisfied that I am getting the Bose sound signature I prefer, which feels balanced and allows all parts of the audio to feel relatively clear when compared to other headphones. 

However, the sound quality specifically isn't quite amazing. It's good, totally serviceable and helped out significantly by that aforementioned Bose EQ/signature. 

However, I also use my Bose 700s for audio when playing on my PS4. I plug them into the controller using the 2.5mm->3.5mm cable, and the headphones are powered on. When I do this, I feel like I am unlocking the true "power" of the headphones - the quality is really incredible, sounds more separated into left/right channels, and clearly different from all other use cases (weirdly enough, I even feel like it sounds different from when I plug the headphones into my MacBook Pro). 

Can anyone offer an explanation for this? Is it because Bluetooth is always "lossy" and what I am experiencing when plugging the headphones into the PS4 "lossless"? If so, if it were possible for the Bose NC 700s to be upgraded to support AirPlay (which said to be "lossless") in the future, could they always sound this good? 

Thanks for any insight. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Re: Why do my Bose NC 700s sound significantly better when plugged into my PS4 controller and turned

Gonna bump this once. Would really like to know what's going on here since the headphones sound so good when listening to Spotify through my PS4. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 28, 2020

Re: Why do my Bose NC 700s sound significantly better when plugged into my PS4 controller and turned

Wired headphones will always produce a better quality sound.  Using Bluetooth will lose some of it’s punch. I mean they will still sound good.  But when connected via the cable would provide the ultimate sound. Being connected to the ps4 will amplify your connection thus providing significant improvements with quality of sound. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Interesting. Can you explain what you mean by "amplifying" the connection? 

So this is experiencing audio without the detriments caused by Bluetooth, basically?