Jace88
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

Wind noise fix NC700?

I just got my NC700 the other day and I quickly noticed that they have some serious problems with windy environments, even if it is justa a small breeze. MY QC35II handled this well with the NC-Low mode, but NC700 don't seem to be able to handle it at all. 
I would really like to know if this is being worked on, and if we are guaranteed an fix within a reasonable time frame? As it stands I can't use mine outside or in my car with the AC turned on. That is about 90% of my usecase. 

I'm also a retail salesperson and it kinda sucks since I can't recommend these to our customers with this in mind =( Except for this Huge problem, i'm in love with them and feel they are a solid upgrade from my QC35II. 

Hope to hear back soon!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Wind noise fix NC700?

Hello Jace88,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

It's great to hear how much you are loving your new Noise Cancelling Headphones 700, however, I am sorry that you are experiencing this problem in windy environments. 

Is this happening all the time or just during phone calls? Additionally, does changing the level of noise cancellation make any difference? For example, when noise cancellation is set to 10, is the problem worse?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Jace88
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. 

I went outside and to try to get some better data. The wind outside was minimal, and I mean the leaves were nearly still on the trees except for small small gusts from time to time. The wind problem was the same in all scenarios below. 

1. Headphones on, NC10 - no audio(music etc) of any kind

2. Headphones on, NC10 - podcast/music

3. Headphones on, NC5 - podcast/music

4. Headphones on, NC10 (before call) - Phone conversation

The windy noise I get on the NC700 is the same regardless on NC level while playing music/podcast. I didn't try to change it during the phone conversation (can you even?). To put it in perspective, on my QC35II the windy noise on NC10 is way worse than NC700s problem. QC35II it actually hurts my ears to listen to it while NC700 it dosn't hurt my ears, but it is quite annoying and I would still rather not use the headphones than "suffer" the problem. The QC35II only have this problem on NC10 (as you know), but it is more or less totally removed in NC5 except if it is super windy. I should add that on the NC700s I have this problem even in very very weak winds. Leaves on the trees were more or less still and while walking around my appartment building the problem kept popping in and out each time there was any wind. I also tried to put my head in front of the AC unit (in the air stream) to see what they would sound like. The wind noise is noticeable louder (on NC10, no music) but it never really reached that level of "painful sound" that the QC35IIs do on NC10. 

I hope this helps. If you can I would love to get some feeedback of an ETA, or if the engineers are working on the problem or not. The QC35IIs got a firmware update if i don't remmeber all wrong that solved the problem. 

Hello Jace88,

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know the result of your testing. This is very strange, it is not something that has been reported by other customers which leads me to believe there may be factors meaning you are hearing this noise that are exclusive to your set up. Since sound is subjective to each individual person it would be interesting to see whether someone else experiences the same audio issues that you do.  I would also encourage other community members to share their experiences and if they are also experiencing this issue so that if it is something that needs forwarding to the development team this will be done. 

I would also recommend adjusting the Self-Voice feature on the headphones to see if you notice any change at all. Try low, medium and high.

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Jace88
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

Which part of it is strange?

Which part of it has not been reported by other customers?
It would help if you could specify so that I might focus testing on that area to give you better feedback. 

cesarv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

@Zoe_C ,

You must be joking! There's another post where its author reported the same problem, and in which I indicated I noticed the same exact issue @Jace88 is reporting here.

Clearly, Bose's quality is going downhill and you guys make up excuses instead of acknowledge the issues.

I think I'll return these cans before my 30-day return period end if this is not fixed.

Jace88
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

May I get an answer for my last question please?

Rgaufman
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Is there any solution to this? - on my old QC35 II I would set noise cancelling to low and wind noise will disappear, I tried changing the noise cancelling on the Bose 700 from 10 all the way down to 0 and even at 0 there is heavy wind noise. What is going on? - Should I return them and downgrade, or will this be fixed in a firmware update soon?

cta2417
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

I have the exact same issue. It just started happening yesterday to my NC 700 on 8/7. It is happening in the left ear. Sounds like wind is blowing. I've tried disconnecting, reconnecting, changing noise cancelling, reseting. Nothing fixes it from what I can find as of right now. 

runn3rshigh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Hi there,

It appears the 700s have taken a step backwards when it comes to windy environments.  The QC35s had an update after their initial release that added a new reduced noise cancellation mode which handled windy environments very well. It seems to be an issue when wind hits the external mics causing a lot of whirring and hissing wind noise.

With the 700s they have 10 different levels of noise cancellation, but there is no way to toggle a mode similar to the one that exists on the QC35s.

In my own testing, the 700s seem to do alright in NC10 mode with wind noise, but it gets worse in an almost linear fashion as I reduce down to NC0.  It really seems like this outdoor, wind focused, mode was not implemented on the 700s.  Usually when I am outside I really want less noise cancellation, and no wind noise.  With the QC35s the reduced ANC mode handled this very well.  

With the 700s, you basically get all or nothing, good noise cancellation outside if you stay in NC10, but no way to let in outside noise while blocking the wind noise picked up by the external microphones.  I think this is a big miss on one of the better firmware updates for the QC35s.

This is fairly easy to reproduce if you stand outside on a windy day, or hop on a bicycle while wearing your headphones.

Please provide a toggle which lets the 700s do a better job with wind noise at lower noise cancellation level!