Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oigdfjnvkadjfn
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

cushions not fit for purpose

Hugely disappointed that Bose are selling quality products with sub-standard cushions? ...the surface fabric falling apart and detaching from the retaining ring with only careful and infrequent use.  Like they're deliberately bio-degradable.  It seems i have wasted hard-earned on these headphones, and can't get hold of anyone who cares ...other than in selling me new products.

More "Booo" than Bose.

8 REPLIES 8
Jessie_O

Re: cushions not fit for purpose

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your cushions and will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. 

All of our headphones are made to last, and the soft cushions are an integral part of this. They have been designed for maximum comfort with the benefit of high-quality protein leather to offer sustained durability.

However as leather is made from organic material, this will naturally deteriorate over time in both color and sustainability. Many factors such as exposure to moisture and friction through wear and storage can accelerate this process. 

As a reminder, the Community forum is a space for peer-to-peer support, not customer service-related issues. However, if you do want to purchase a part or accessory, you can do this reach by reaching out to your local support team for assistance. You can do this by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country, and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. We will do all we can for you. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
oigdfjnvkadjfn
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

Thanks for your reply ….but,

I trawled and then reached out to the community platform for pointers as Bose seemed only able to point me toward high street retailers (since closing the flagship stores) who just aren’t interested.

The community gave useful insight on aftermarket cushions being no better.

I noted the showroom model falling apart before i bought mine, and was assured this was only due to rough handling of so many people …but no, it seems they fall apart when most cared for.

I could do with more help than this.

oigdfjnvkadjfn
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

…and you don’t seem to sell over-ear cushions.

Best i can get is 20% off replacement headphones, but they’re only just two years old!

oigdfjnvkadjfn
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

Not only is the material perishing (with little to no use over the last eighteen months of lockdown) the material has de-bonded from the annular ring that secures the cushion to the headphones.

Please, what am i to do with them then?

oigdfjnvkadjfn
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

You reference both leather and protein leather… i didn’t think they were the same?

Is protein leather not the petrochemical blend of egg white and resin used to create a cheaper fake leather? …first exploited by the motor industry.  Is that what I’ve got?

I don’t mind either way, but i do rather mind that the surface finish precipitates from the backing fabric after a year.

Please, where can i get replacement on-ear cushions from? …they don’t seem to be listed anywhere on your website, and your retailers are not interested. 

Marvin_B

Hi oigdfjnvkadjfn.

Thank you for your post. Just to confirm what headphones you have, please enter the serial number on this LINK, and give us the model.

Please let us know.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
oigdfjnvkadjfn
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

Marvin, Marvin …Marvin.

Please refer to my profile picture …you will see they’re the “on-ear” wireless type.

Thanks for the link, but I’ve been there.  Best Bose could do there was offer me 20% off in trade-in …which is neither financially sound (for me then £70 per year ad infinitum) or environmentally sound (for any of us, i guess you just discard the old ones).

Wouldn’t everyone prefer the cushions are made to last rather longer than only two years? …ADVERTISED AS “SOFT CUSHIONS CRADLE YOUR EARS AND ALL MATERIALS ARE DURABLE AND BUILD TO LAST”… Hello trading standards!

And i would question: Where on Bose’s website can we find replacement cushions for the on-ear type?

Jeff_G

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

A trade in is not necessary for a set of deteriorating cushions. They're designed to be user-replaceable in the event that they start to wear down. As mentioned by @Jessie_O, there are multiple factors that can accelerate the process of degradation. I recommend being aware of the following:

1. On-Ear Wireless headphones are not sport headphones, if they're being used for exercise the sweat acid can increase breakdown of the materials.

2. When you have finished using the headphones, wipe the cushions down with a cloth to ensure all potential sweat is removed before returning them to their storage case.

3. The product is includes a silica gel packet. Most often discarded, it can be useful to keep in the case as it draws moisture away from the headphones.

Replacement cushions for your particular model can be obtained here.

Instructions for replacing the cushions can be found here (older variant of the product featured in the video.)

Thanks.