kurtph1969
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 10, 2021

QC 35 II Android 12 / Google Assistant

I got a new Pixel 4a 5G a few weeks ago and updated it to the Android 12 beta. At first, everything was fine with my headphones and the Bose Connect app -  until a couple of days ago. I know that the Bose app and my headphone firmware had not updated at this point. Now, when I press the Assistant button I just get, "Open the Google Assistant on your phone, then try that button again". I've tried everything, restarting the phone and headphones, unpairing, resetting the app, clearing Google Play Services, reinstalling the Google App but the headphones refuse to work with Google Assistant. I tried Amazon Alexa and that seems fine on Android 12.

One thing I have noticed is that under Google Assistant settings it is impossible to remove the headphones. This is under Assistant>Settings>Google Assistant>Devices>Personal. Even if I re-name the headphones in the Bose App the name doesn't change. So it would seem that Google Assistant is paired with a different incarnation of my headphones 😀 This is true on other versions of Android.

Screenshot_20210612-123712-picsay.jpg

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the headphones working with Google Assistant on Android 12 and what version of the beta you are on please? Failing this, I'll try to roll back the phone to Android 11. Thanks.

Vicky_W

Re: disable Alexa and Google Assistant on QC35II

@kurtph1969, thanks for getting back to us. I am sorry to hear that the steps did not help. I would like to open this up to the community and see if anyone else with the Android 12 beta is having issues?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
kurtph1969
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 10, 2021

Re: disable Alexa and Google Assistant on QC35II

Thank you for the reply @Vicky_W . Yes, that would be great. I have already raised this issue as a new topic in the over ear headphones forum as I believe it's specifically related to Android 12 (S) so it's probably not a fault with the headphones or Bose software. However, it will be interesting to see if anyone else has this issue. I have also sent feedback to the Android 12 beta program about this. Kind regards, Kurt

muzza
Participant
Registered since

Aug 8, 2018

Re: QC 35 II Android 12 / Google Assistant

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. My headphones don't work with Google Assistant on Android 12 Beta 2, however they did work when I repaired them on my Pixel 2XL running android 11 - worked perfectly.

I think it's an Android 12 bug for now. I was able to get it removed from the device list too then repaired but it didn't go through the Assistant setup process as it did with Android 11.

muzza
Participant
Registered since

Aug 8, 2018

I just updated to Android 12 Beta 3 and it's working as expected now 😀

kurtph1969
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 10, 2021

Thanks for the update @muzza . I was going to ask.

One other thing I've noticed. When dictating a message, often Google doesn't read the message back or confirm it has been sent (even though it has). I wondered how this is on the latest Android 12 beta? Thanks.

muzza
Participant
Registered since

Aug 8, 2018

I don't do that often, but did test it today sending an SMS and it worked perfectly, the second time.

The first time it bugged out, so I did exactly the same thing again which worked perfectly, read the message back and confirmed it was sent.