Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

how to disable default noise cancelling for QC35

Every time I turn on my headphones' bluetooth connection the Noise-cancelling is turned up to "high", and it's uncomfortable for my ears. I very rarely want to activate NC, and it's a major hassle to have to dig out my phone, look for the app, etc. every time I just want to play a song.

I don't want to have to bother with digging out my phone and messing around with apps every time I want to listen to music; I'd like to just set NC-off to be the default once, and have it just stay that way permanently. Either that or if I could turn NC off with some combination of buttons on the headset, that would work too. I just don't like the app; it's buggy, unreliable, and I'm particularly annoyed at its privacy-invasive features; I'd rather not have it on my phone at all. Can anyone suggest an alternative way to turn off NC?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: how to disable default noise cancelling for QC35

@bobbyzbitz 

I do not work for Bose but I can tell you that people have asked the same question here and the response was it became a feature request that was passed on to engineering for consideration.  So it is not going to happen any time soon.  The current situation is that the headphones will not remember the ANC setting after you turn it off.

So you are left with the following options:

1. Set it to something like OFF via the Connect app each time you turn on the QC35.

2. Keep the QC35 turned off and use it wired.

Perhaps someone can think of something else - those are the only two I know.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks for the confirmation @joelirwin; this is pretty clearly a design choice by Bose to force people onto the app. I appreciate the help, and the ire that follows is not directed at you.

To any Bose employee that might be reading this: I'd like you to consider the math.

I just spent 300 Euros on premium headphones that I'm otherwise happy with, so I've got disposable money. As a happy, loyal customer, I would have gladly given you more money for my next stereo system/headphones/whatever. I would have also recommended your company to friends. Over a lifetime, this is several thousands of additional revenue for you.

Instead, however, that number is now less than zero, because I will go out of my way to discourage anyone I know from buying your products.

And yes, for the moment, you've got me on the app, and it's too much of a hassle to change over, so I guess you can collect data on what I'm listening to, and spy on me. Congrats. But how much money are you actually making off of that data?  I know it's the cool sexy thing in corporate culture to collect limitless data on your customers, but is it actually worth it? Does it make up for the losses of alienating otherwise loyal customers? I guess a lot of customers don't care, but some do, and of the ones that do, most will just never touch your products again and not tell you why. I'm telling you why.

Stop spying on your customers. What you're doing is short-sighted and unethical.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

I agree.

Since when did customer satisfaction be less important than data collection and app usage??

Its like... we telling you how to make your product better, so that we can continue to support you but you dont want it?

Now I have a £260 pair of headphones that I hate because on my mac I cant make phone calls over bluetooth because ANC wont switch off! And every time I switch the headphones on I have to press ANC button 3 times to deactivate it.

How can the headphones not disable noise cancellation without the app, especially when theres a button on the headphones to do it!! Nothing makes sense. ANC is a load of rubbish.

And the worst part is that it will take a programmer at Bose about half an hour to implement a firmware update that fixes this but....
"We need to check with our Engineers, it might take 3 years, please be patient..." . What a load of BS.

£260 for a bit of plastic, cant even include basic functionality.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

You can control the noise cancellation with the Action Button on the headset.  Go into the app and select the Noise Cancelling option for the Action Button.

However, the app forces you to select either Noise Cancelling or Alexa-Google Assistant for the button. It wouldn't let you do both, which is a drag.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

I just got these headphones. I just cannot believe they don't remember the setting nor the app will let you set a default.

Literally EVERY time I use them I need to press the ANC button two times. And thank god I don't use the assistants or I would need to open the app.

This is IMO a big design flaw that could be extremely easily fixed (let's face it devs, this is no harder than storing any value in the app) and I am absolutely amazed at the fact that people have been requesting this for evidently a LONG time and still nothing has been done.

Any chance to have this rolled out in the near future?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2020

Exactly. It is BEYOND frustrating that such an obvious and necessary feature is not only missing, but that customer pleas have been ignored for YEARS now. The noise cancellation gives me vertigo and nausea, yet I am forced to manually disable it every single time I use these headphones. It's so obviously stupid, and to make matters worse it has been a frequent complaint since these products were first introduced. It would be hard to justify the lack of an update over a period of weeks, but at this point? It's totally absurd and has turned me off of any and all Bose products. Beyond a stupid design, it shows a total and complete disregard for their customer.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2020

It is very sad indeed, and also ironic that Bose keeps treating all requests to implement ANC setting persistence as some kind of a white noise that can be safely ignored and filtered out.    And for clarity, an ANC setting that cannot remember its own state is inadequate by any standard and must be treated as a defect that must be fixed rather than a "new feature" to be prioritized for implementation. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 19, 2020

Been reading around and this issue has been "passed to higher power", and it has been that for about 4 years, so there will probably never be a solution to this problem.  Better off to just change to some other NC headphones that do have this feature.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@SledhedThe latest firmware, 4.5.2 came on 6/18/19.  And Bose is about to starting selling the 700 UC making the QC35ii two products back.  Now to be fair (1) the QC35ii and the 700 are selling in parallel but being outside of Bose I don't know the proportions and (2) firmware development and changes for the QC35ii could have been hampered or delayed by Covid.  The QC35ii came out in the summer 2017.  So I am beginning to wonder how many more firmware releases we will see.  I am guessing but I am thinking we may see at most one in 2020 - perhaps none at all.  And based on the last couple of releases, Bose doesn't appear 'hot to trot' on functional improvements or changes but rather bug fixes.  Though keep in mind "predictions in the blind" are just that - riddled with danger! 🙂