I have spent the better part of the day trying to re-connect my Headphones back to both the devices they were connected to before I had to disconnect them.
It worked again for my mobile, but not so for my laptop (Windows).
I have tried EVERYTHING suggested in the forum: clearing the BT lists of the devices, turning BT off on my mobile when trying to connect to the laptop, updating the connect app, downloading the hardware upgrader on windows (twice), updating the hardware, the BT driver, plugging the device into the wall, turning everything off and on again.. AND NOTHING. I'm really annoyed by now, especially since I did this previously and it worked just fine (i.e. it doesn't look like this is just me being stupid).
HELP! The HP were so expensive I think this should not be such a big deal - especially since the forum is full of this type of issue - with no obvious solution...
Thank you very much in advance!