qc35 ii how to downgrade firmware to 2.0.1?

Friendly Fanatic

Re: QC35II ANC not working after newest update

Hey Tony,

I've thoroughly searched through this forum in the hopes of finding a solution. I have found none. Could this change be related to the fact that the update was paused and then continued later?

Also, in regards to your comment that you " have not made any changes either intended or unintended to ANC in any of our products," this is clearly untrue. I don't doubt that this was unintentional, but the fact that multiple people are reporting this issue means that unintentional changes have occured.

Friendly Fanatic

Tony, I don't mean to come off confrontational or angry at you. I'm just disappointed at Bose's refusal that there is a problem, and I'm upset that the solution seems to be "spring out hundreds of dollars to purchase a new pair because your warranty expired last night."

I'm ALSO upset because I bet downgrading or factory resetting would fix it, but for some reason those aren't options I can pursue?

Hi Sobo,

Thanks for responding. I completely understand that you feel frustrated. The only thing I can recommend is contacting your local support team if you feel your headset is no longer working properly. 

Regards,

Tony G 

Friendly Fanatic

I did! They suggested I go through the reset process (which I had already done), and then offered a discount on a new pair. Which is nice, I guess, but I'd rather be able to fix the pair I spent $350 on.

Audible Advocate

**bleep**, this is the worst customer service I've ever seen. You have literally hundreds of people reporting the same issue, and your response is linking the same article over and over again: "here's us saying that there is no problem, so shut up!". I returned my first pair of QCs in November after realizing the decreased ANC. Then I got a new pair, and was amazed by the ANC, I tested it by listening to music with 100% volume on my laptop and couldn't hear a thing. A day later, after the auto update, I could hear practically everything, 90% of the music from my laptop through the ANC. Returned them again in December, got the pair back two days ago. Again, the exact same experience. I tested the ANC by having them on, blasting music from my laptop, nothing getting through. Now after the update, the ANC lets everything through.

PLEASE RESPOND, we're talking about customers paying hundreds of dollars/euros.

Hello raizkiz,

I am truly sorry that you are having this experience. We have tested the ANC, multiple times in fact, across several firmware updates all with the same result. No change to anything that affects the way ANC is processed. So, in light of the fact that rigorous objective testing has been done, we can conclude that it is not the headphone firmware. You noted the same experience across multiple pairs of headphones and firmware versions, which seems to suggest that we change something for the worse with every firmware update. From my own personal experience, and with the information I have here at my disposal, I am confident that we have not made any substantive changes to our flagship technology and certainly none that would make it less effective.

For this reason, we suggest that you contact Customer Support if you feel that your headphones are not working properly. No disrespect is intended as we are certainly as interested as you are that ANC functions properly.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Audible Advocate

Hey Greg,

Thanks for your quick reply! No matter how objective testing you've done, doesn't it seem clear that you've missed something if there are hundreds of people complaining about the same issue, the same issue appearing around the same event for everyone? Maybe the firmware only affects certain batches of headphones? And there are people in the forum, that have been able to fix the ANC by downgrading to an earlier firmware?

No, my case doesn't suggest that you change something for the worse with every firmware update. It suggests that the firmware that's in the headphones from the factory makes the ANC work 100% for me, but as soon as I download the Bose apps and update the firmware to the later versions, the ANC stops working. Please read my situation again, and give me a differing explanation to what else than a firmware error could have happened:

November: I receive a pair of new QC 35 IIs. When I try them on fresh from the package, the ANC works like it should. I have a song playing on my laptop speakers on 100% volume, but I can't hear any of it with the headphones on. The next day, I realise that I hear normal conversations through the headphones, I do the same laptop song test again, and I hear pretty much all of the music, ANC blocking just a tiny bit of it. In December I return the headphones.

January: I again receive a new pair of QC 35 IIs from the customer support, two days ago. On Wednesday, I did the same test when I got the headphones: I wasn't able to hear any music from my laptop speakers with the headphones on. The following day I realize the ANC is gone, and again with the laptop song test, I now hear all of the music, the ANC blocking just a little of it.

And yes, I have had the ANC on high the whole time. I understand that you've done your testing, but how do you realistically explain that what happened to me TWICE, and that has seemed to happen to hundreds of people just on this forum, let alone the thousands of people who aren't complaining here? I can't say for 100% that it's the firmware, but that's the only realistic explanation that I can think of. What's your explanation? If I were you, I'd hope that it was the firmware, because it would be even worse if now 2/2 of the headphones that I've received, would have had faulty hardware after day 1.

What do you suggest I do in this situation? Return the headphones once again, and won't just install the Bose Connect app or update the firmware in any other way? Buy Sonys?

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

I don't work for bose and can't speak for them.  I am also not qualified (or interested) on discussing the pros and cons of ANC - so I hope when you are discussing with me we can stay away from that topic.

I can tell you I had a QC35i which Bose exchanged for a QC35ii back in Nov.  I have used both of them with ANC on high for two months and have used them on my iPhone 7+ and two different windows machines - a Dell Win 7/32 desktop and a Dell Win 7/32 laptop and I am not experiencing the behaviors with playback you are having.  So I myself would make the assumption that your descriptions are not 'unanomous' (whatever that means... Smiley Happy ).

Though I totally do not doubt your experiences and agree you have had the same thing happen on two consecutive qc35s.  So this is not all that different from my ongoing 'battles' with Dell over its Bluetooth (BT) hardware by Intel that it uses on my laptop which flat out does not work with ANY of my Bose BT devices (QC35ii, 2 Revolves, Soundsport wired, and Soundlink Mini).  Dell changed the hardware with the same result/symptoms. So what does mine experience or perhaps yours tell me/you as to what to do next?

You have only one device which could be different from me where there are five.  What I can suggest for the next step is to ask perhaps what is different between mine and his that he does not have the problem of not hearing anything when the music is playing?  So here is what my experience is about that situation - because of I have seen it literally dozens of times and on multiple Bose products.  Its about the computer end, imho.  Both ends need to implement BT 4.x and the only way we can have a flawless communication is if the programming on both ends totally sticks to the standard and they match what they are and need to do in every situation.  And there are two 'parts' to the protocol (which get implemeted on computers as 'services') - HFP (a mono sound for a voice over ip applications such as phone calls, skype, whatsapp, etc.) and A2DS (a stereo music streaming protocol).  Sometimes the HFP device is referred to as a 'headset'.  What I have sometimes noticed is that I don't hear something because both of the devices are 'offline' or sometimes the headset is online but the 'stereo renderer' is offline.  Sometimes I can get the stereo renderer online and finally hear something.  More often than not, I have to uninstall and reinstall stuff.  And in the case of my laptop with Intel BT hardware - nothing seemed to work no matter what I did.  So I had to disable the Intel BT hardware and go with a 3rd party SMK Nano USB Dongle with CSR Stack and now all my devices work (though my revolve's are still having a 'sound' issue).

I am no longer trying myself to work these computer BT issues with Bose.  My experience with them has shown that is not their primary market which is imho phones and tablets and not laptops and desktops.  So whether we are in the Windows world or the Mac world, that is only part 2 of a 3 part environment. There is still the 3rd party bluetooth hardware/driver vendor (like Intel) to deal with. Bose has said to me on the phone and here that there just two many combinations of bluetooth vendor solutions with the pcs and laptops and they can't possibly test them all.  So I have given up trying to convince Bose to make any specific firmware changes for my own Dell environment.  Realistically for my situation it was just easier to spend about $12 on ebay to buy a solution that works with my QC35ii than to do any more troubleshooting.

So here is what I believe imho are your options:

1. You can sell or otherwise disassociate yourself from the QC35ii and go with a different vendor, though until you successfully test, you wont know if theirs works or has a similar problem

2. You can go with a different BT hardware and driver solution on your computer and disable the old one

3. You can continue to troubleshoot by trying other drivers and uninstalling operating system updates that could be conflicting

4. You can try to get Bose to make changes to the QC35ii firmware which would aid in your own connectivity issues

Audible Advocate

I had the exact same experience. I.e. the moment the app upgraded the firmware the ANC became poor. All feedback saying "check Bluetooth" or "nothing have been changed" is just pointlesss comment. The issue started right after the upgrade. Nothing else was changed.

So... yes, get your 3rd pair and pray that factory still ship headphones with the great ANC. Or... go with Sony.
Audible Advocate

raizkiz, maybe your detailed explanation would be more clear if you specified what the headphones were connected to while you did your test.  You mentioned your laptop several times, but I doubt that your headphones were connected to your laptop during your tests.

Maybe also test ANC with a repeatable sound (like a loud fan or motor)?