Highlighted
Wiikend
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

"<Device name> lost" message plays twice

Hi, I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones at work, that work wonders, but I have a very minor issue. I have it connected to two phones, my work phone (a Samsung Galaxy S8) and my private phone (a Samsung Galaxy S7). When I get out of my office, I take my private phone with me (music), and leave the work phone on my desk. Eventually, I get so far away from my work phone that the device is lost. This is of course expected, no problems there. However, it plays the "<Device name> lost" message twice for some reason. Is there a way to avoid that? I like the message because it's informative, but I don't like having my music interrupted for longer than necessary. 🙂

Again, this is a very minor issue and I can live with it if I have to, but it would be nice to get sorted out.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: "<Device name> lost" message plays twice

Hi Wiikend,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help with this.

This is a strange one. Just to clarify with you, does the 'device disconnected' message play twice when any device disconnects or just this one phone? If you are unsure, could you please test this with your other phone or another Bluetooth device?

In the Bose Connect app on your phone, when you check your connections, does your work phone appear on the list twice? You can check this list by pressing the Bluetooth icon in the bottom left of the app, when connected to the headphones. If it does appear twice, we can remove the unused connection from this list by pressing the 'edit' option and then the 'x' next to the pairing we want to remove.

Something that would be worth trying, is removing and re-adding the connection to your phone. To clear the Bluetooth pairing list on your headphones, turn them on, then slide the switch over to the Bluetooth icon until you hear a notification. Once this has done, forget them from your phone's Bluetooth list as well, then reconnect them.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Wiikend
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

Hi Keith, thank you for your fast reply.

I just tested leaving my private phone at my desk and taking my work phone with me, and it seems that the problem is isolated to my work phone (the "<Device name> lost" message played only once when losing connection to my private phone).

Both phones are listed only once in the connections list in the Bose Connect app.

I proceeded to clear the headphones' Bluetooth pairing list, and reconnected my devices, and tried walking away from my work phone again, and the message only plays once now. I guess the problem was related to the Bluetooth pairing list.

Thank you for the quick and thorough reply. Consider this problem solved!

Highlighted

Hello Wiikend, 

Thanks for updating us on this. 

I am so glad that @Keith_L was able to help you to resolve your issue.

Do let us know if you need assistance in the future. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Wiikend
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

Hi again,

It's been two weeks and the same thing has happened again. I don't know exactly when or how it happened, but I just got the double "<device name> lost" message again, for my work phone.

At least I can fix it every time it happens now, but doing this 26 times a year seems kind of cumbersome to me. I don't have exact steps to reproduce the root cause, unfortunately, but I believe it is related to moving away from the device. I don't move *far* away from the device, so I might be in the outer perimeter where it falls in and out.

I know it's not much to go on, but I hope some testing under these conditions will lead you closer to an answer. I just wanted to let you know that the problem re-occurred, and hope you will be able to look into it.

Highlighted

Hello Wiikend, 

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you are still experiencing problems with this. Have you recently tried to unpair the headphones from both devices to establish a new connection? 

To clear the pairing list:

Slide and hold the power switch over to Bluetooth for 10 seconds, until you hear “Bluetooth device list cleared.”

Delete your headphones from the Bluetooth list* on your mobile device. All devices are cleared and the headphones are ready to connect.

* On iOS, the Bluetooth list can be found via Settings > Bluetooth, then the headphones will have a ( i ) to the right of their name. You need to tap on this, then tap "Forget device."

* On Android, it may differ between different Android devices, but it is usually Settings > Bluetooth > then the headphones will have a cog icon to the right of their name. Tap on this, then tap "Forget device."

Next, it is good practice to turn Bluetooth off, then back on to re-initiate a scan for available devices. You should see the headphones appear as a device you can connect to.

I would also suggest trying to pair the devices in a different order to see if there are any noticeable differences in disconnection. 

Finally, if you haven't done so, please visit this page to update the firmware.

Be sure to let me know how you get on! 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G